FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

MAX IIZ JTAG Programming

Azmogod
Beginner

Hello,

I am new to FPGA / CPLD and im having some problems with my project. I am trying to program a CPLD (EPM240ZM68C7) using a USB Blaster and Quartus Prime. Ive been having problems with messages such as "Warning: Uncertain JTAG Chain. Detected 0 devices" and sometime "Error: No device detected". My questions are:

1) This version of CPLD my VCCINT is supplied by 1.8V and VCCIO (Bank 1 and 2) with 3.3V. The pin 4 on the JTAG connector, should be attached to the 1.8V or 3.3V?

2) Some datasheets say that the TMS should have a 10k pull-up resistor and TCK should have a pull-down resistor of 10k and some 1k. Which one is correct for TCK, 10k or 1k?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1) This version of CPLD my VCCINT is supplied by 1.8V and VCCIO (Bank 1

and 2) with 3.3V. The pin 4 on the JTAG connector, should be attached to

the 1.8V or 3.3V?

The pin 4 should be attach to 3.3V as the input and output buffer is provided by VCCIO pin.

2) Some datasheets say that the TMS should have a 10k pull-up resistor

and TCK should have a pull-down resistor of 10k and some 1k. Which one

is correct for TCK, 10k or 1k?

It should be 10K pull-up on TMS and 1K pull-down for TCK. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max2/max2_mii51013.pdf - Figure 11–1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1) This version of CPLD my VCCINT is supplied by 1.8V and VCCIO (Bank 1

and 2) with 3.3V. The pin 4 on the JTAG connector, should be attached to

the 1.8V or 3.3V?

The pin 4 should be attach to 3.3V as the input and output buffer is provided by VCCIO pin.

2) Some datasheets say that the TMS should have a 10k pull-up resistor

and TCK should have a pull-down resistor of 10k and some 1k. Which one

is correct for TCK, 10k or 1k?

It should be 10K pull-up on TMS and 1K pull-down for TCK. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max2/max2_mii51013.pdf - Figure 11–1

0 Kudos
Azmogod
Beginner
Thank you so much for the answers. I am having problems to program my CPLD but i believe it is a bad soldering (uBGA) since when i check the signals on the oscilloscope, my TCK is fine, my TDI is fine but my TDO is always at low. I have only one device on the JTAG Chain, so it could only be this specific device.
0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am glad that you figure out the issue.

0 Kudos