FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

MAX IIZ JTAG Programming

Azmogod
Beginner

Hello,

I am new to FPGA / CPLD and im having some problems with my project. I am trying to program a CPLD (EPM240ZM68C7) using a USB Blaster and Quartus Prime. Ive been having problems with messages such as "Warning: Uncertain JTAG Chain. Detected 0 devices" and sometime "Error: No device detected". My questions are:

1) This version of CPLD my VCCINT is supplied by 1.8V and VCCIO (Bank 1 and 2) with 3.3V. The pin 4 on the JTAG connector, should be attached to the 1.8V or 3.3V?

2) Some datasheets say that the TMS should have a 10k pull-up resistor and TCK should have a pull-down resistor of 10k and some 1k. Which one is correct for TCK, 10k or 1k?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1) This version of CPLD my VCCINT is supplied by 1.8V and VCCIO (Bank 1

and 2) with 3.3V. The pin 4 on the JTAG connector, should be attached to

the 1.8V or 3.3V?

The pin 4 should be attach to 3.3V as the input and output buffer is provided by VCCIO pin.

2) Some datasheets say that the TMS should have a 10k pull-up resistor

and TCK should have a pull-down resistor of 10k and some 1k. Which one

is correct for TCK, 10k or 1k?

It should be 10K pull-up on TMS and 1K pull-down for TCK. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max2/max2_mii51013.pdf - Figure 11–1

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1) This version of CPLD my VCCINT is supplied by 1.8V and VCCIO (Bank 1

and 2) with 3.3V. The pin 4 on the JTAG connector, should be attached to

the 1.8V or 3.3V?

The pin 4 should be attach to 3.3V as the input and output buffer is provided by VCCIO pin.

2) Some datasheets say that the TMS should have a 10k pull-up resistor

and TCK should have a pull-down resistor of 10k and some 1k. Which one

is correct for TCK, 10k or 1k?

It should be 10K pull-up on TMS and 1K pull-down for TCK. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max2/max2_mii51013.pdf - Figure 11–1

View solution in original post

Azmogod
Beginner
Thank you so much for the answers. I am having problems to program my CPLD but i believe it is a bad soldering (uBGA) since when i check the signals on the oscilloscope, my TCK is fine, my TDI is fine but my TDO is always at low. I have only one device on the JTAG Chain, so it could only be this specific device.
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am glad that you figure out the issue.