FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

MAX10 FPGA high power consumption during programming of on-chip flash

peejam
Novice

During programming (with Quartus Programmer) of the on-chip flash (POF configuration into CFM memory) in MAX10 FPGA (10M16SAU324I7G, single 3.3V power supply), the current consumption on 3.3V jumps from 0.1A to 1.0A. The temperature on the surface of this FPGA rises during the programming from 25degC to 66 degC.

The POF content gets programmed correctly, and after programming the FPGA returns back to 0.1A power consumption. After power off-on, the FPGA initializes correctly.

For comparison: when this same FPGA is initialized from SOF, i.e. without programming the on-chip flash, the current consumption remains within 0.1A.

I guess that 1.0A during programming of the on-chip flash is significantly too high. What might be the reason for this? Are there any specified limits for this current consumption?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

It depends on Flash power up requirement. MAX10 has 3.3V voltage regulator built-in to convert to other power supplies, like 2.5V etc. The 1.0A might be temporary shoot up for inrush current when MAX10 is power up and internal voltage regulator power kicked in. 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
peejam
Novice

Hi Farabi,

The problem is that this higher current lasts very long, for the entire duration of programming of internal flash of MAX10, roughly several seconds. In my understanding this cannot be an inrush current, which would go for , say typically 10ms.

I am also using 10M16SA with smaller pincount, and here I have never see such an increase on power cunsumption during programming. In this case  there was almost no increase of power consumption during programming at all.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Possible device defect? How many you seeing this behavior?

The inrush current should not take more than a second.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
peejam
Novice

Hi Farabi,

Thanks for the confirmation that this current is not correct. I do not see it as a typical "inrush" current becatuse it lasts for the entire duration of the flash programming.

I have tested it on 2 devices, with the same effect.

Could you confirm what is the expected current during programming of the internal flash in MAX10?

Currently I suspect some layout issues, where some pins might not be connected as intended. My plan is to cleanup this layout, redo the PCB and test it again.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello Peter, 

I am getting internal data for this request. I will get back to you once I have the information. 

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos