FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Max 10 FPGA Dev Kit JTAG issues

CWP
Beginner

Hi, I was setting up a newly bought Max 10 Development Kit and installed Quartus Prime Lite Ver 20 on Windows 7 pc. I connect the kit's J12 via the USB cable provided to PC and upon power up the kit, the driver for the USB-BlasterII starts to install and shows no problem. A error message pop up when I ran the Board System Test (BTS) exe, stating "No JTAG cable is detected or selected" (see attach pic below). I then ran Quartus Prime's JTAG Chain Debugger and shows "TCK and TMS connection issue" (see attach pic below). Can I confirm there is an issue with the kit? or is there other setup I need to perform?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Open the Quartus Programmer and see if the device is detected there.

I'm not sure if that recent version of Quartus will work OK with Windows 7.

0 Kudos
CWP
Beginner

Hi sstrell, thanks for the reply.

Using Programmer, I had to select "USB-BlasterII" at  Hardware Setting and after that, clicking "Auto Detect" a message pop out "Unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain. Do you want to open the JTAG Chain Debugger to troubleshoot the JTAG chain?" (see attached pic) I tried using the Debugger and it shows "Error: The TCK and TMS connections...might have problem" (see attached pic)

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Please refer to KDB below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd03312011_647.html

Regards,

AIman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos
CWP
Beginner

Issue resolved. It was the Microtronix's HSMC daughter board causing the JTAG chain issue. After removing this board, JTAG issue solved. Thanks for the support. 

0 Kudos