FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Missing Files in Repo Building Rocket Board LInux Design Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey I am trying to follow this tutorial https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/yoctodorabuildwithmetaaltera to build a very basic distro for my DE1-SoC. I have followed all the instructions and am at the bitbake virtual/bootloader step. This step is failing on my machine with the following error. 

ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /home/jfrye/Developer/Altera/CycloneVLinux/distros/FryeCloneOS/poky/meta-altera/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-altera-ltsi-dev_4.1.bb: Failure expanding variable bbfatal_log: ExpansionError: Failure expanding variable SRCPV, expression was ${@bb.fetch2.get_srcrev(d)} which triggered exception FetchError: Fetcher failure: Unable to resolve 'socfpga-4.1-ltsi' in upstream git repository in git ls-remote output for github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga.git 

I am wondering if we have any Linux folks here that might be familiar with the associated repos involved with building this project.  

I have tried going to github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga.git in my browser and it looks like it is still there. Why is bitbake crying? I cannot find the socfpga-4.1.ltsi file anywhere in the repo on github. Maybe that is why?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hey I am trying to follow this tutorial https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/yoctodorabuildwithmetaaltera to build a very basic distro for my DE1-SoC. I have followed all the instructions and am at the bitbake virtual/bootloader step. This step is failing on my machine with the following error. 

ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /home/jfrye/Developer/Altera/CycloneVLinux/distros/FryeCloneOS/poky/meta-altera/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-altera-ltsi-dev_4.1.bb: Failure expanding variable bbfatal_log: ExpansionError: Failure expanding variable SRCPV, expression was ${@bb.fetch2.get_srcrev(d)} which triggered exception FetchError: Fetcher failure: Unable to resolve 'socfpga-4.1-ltsi' in upstream git repository in git ls-remote output for github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga.git 

I am wondering if we have any Linux folks here that might be familiar with the associated repos involved with building this project.  

I have tried going to github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga.git in my browser and it looks like it is still there. Why is bitbake crying? I cannot find the socfpga-4.1.ltsi file anywhere in the repo on github. Maybe that is why? 

--- Quote End ---  

It looks like most of the history supporting dev kits has been deleted by someone. socfpga-4.1-ltsi is not a file, it is a branch, and it is missing along with many others. I am hoping that an admin somewhere may shed some light on the missing history. This has broken things for anyone using older Kernel versions referred to by many dev board vendors, and is rather disruptive and destructive, not to mention a probable violation of the GPL as this source is baseline for many reference designs... 

Does SOMEONE in the community know if/when this might get repaired -- and for the curious a how and why?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It looks like most of the history supporting dev kits has been deleted by someone. socfpga-4.1-ltsi is not a file, it is a branch, and it is missing along with many others. I am hoping that an admin somewhere may shed some light on the missing history. This has broken things for anyone using older Kernel versions referred to by many dev board vendors, and is rather disruptive and destructive, not to mention a probable violation of the GPL as this source is baseline for many reference designs... 

Does SOMEONE in the community know if/when this might get repaired -- and for the curious a how and why? 

--- Quote End ---  

jackfrye11: Did you ever get a build working? 

I can say with some confidence that old versions will not be coming back; here is what I understand now: 

The current build will be updated every few (~6) months and, if the branch is changed, any old branches will be deleted. 

The ltsi branch will be updated every year, so long-term means until Intel drops it in a few months... 

So, if you found a working repo, make sure you keep a local copy safe and secure...
0 Kudos