FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

NAND Flash controller Intel IP

HungLam
Beginner

Hi All,

I intend to use Micron MT29 NAND Flash 1Gb in our FPGA design with Arria 10, it is for both configuration/programming and user data storage.

For Configuration/programming, I am going to use Intel Parallel Flash Loader IP.

I would like to check if this PFL IP from Intel also support to read/write user data from application, similar to ASMI IP for serial flash. Could you please help if anyone use PFL IP before? Can I use to read/write user data with qsys and intel avalon mm?

Thanks,

Hung

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Hung,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Have you try to refer to Intel FPGA PFL userguide? Kindly refer to the userguide below:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_pfl.pdf

Let me know if you need further information.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
HungLam
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your help, Aiman!

I have gone through PFL guideline. That is very helpful to use this IP for Flash programming and FPGA configuration.

However, I would like to know whether I can use this PFL ip to access (read/write) unused portion of NAND flash memory with Nios II after NAND Flash programmed. As this is possible for serial configuration devices, but not very sure if the unused portions of the NAND flash memory can be used as general-purpose memory or not.

Attached picture is for serial configuration, not sure if I can access for unused memory with NAND flash by PFL ip.

Regards,

Hung

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Hung,

Based on the PFL userguide, it did not mention the access of unused memory. Hence the unused memory cannot be access with NAND flash by PFL IP.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos