FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

NEEK Picture Viewer - Final Code will not run - Target Not Responding

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When following the NEEK Picture Viewer I get the following error when trying to run on the target:-  

Using cable "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Pausing target processor: not responding. Resetting and trying again: FAILED Leaving target processor paused 

Story so far - followed demo all ok, get a message when programming device from Quartus II Programmer: Click Cancel to stop using OpenCore Plus IP Which you have to click Cancel as no other option. 

Above 'FAILED' message appears when Flash programming the Images.ZIP file and when tell NIOS IDE to run on the target hardware. 

I have no error messages during the complies of hw or sw. 

Using Following: 

WinXP SP2 

Nios IDE 9.1 Build 222 

Programmer 9.1 Build 222 

Quartus II 9.1 Build 222 

Demo PDF > http://www.altera.com/literature/tt/tt_nios2_system_architect.pdf 

Any help please. 

Thanks 

Paul 

PS: Hello_World demo build and runs ok...
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Don't click cancel as that will always cause this to happen. The Picture Viewer has some SD card IP that requires a license or OCP to use. Since you don't have a license, you'll need to leave this OCP window open. 

If you want to rid yourself of this requirement, either purchase a license for the IP or write your own SD card hw/sw IP. 

Cheers, 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Don't click cancel as that will always cause this to happen. The Picture Viewer has some SD card IP that requires a license or OCP to use. Since you don't have a license, you'll need to leave this OCP window open. 

If you want to rid yourself of this requirement, either purchase a license for the IP or write your own SD card hw/sw IP. 

Cheers, 

slacker 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm confused-!? 

The Tutorial says the Image.ZIP files need to be programmed into FLASH memory, I would have said this in not the SD card therefor? There is nothing in the tutorial about using the SD card so I'm guessing you are referring to the example that appears on the NEEK and in the example folder that installed. Can you confirm? 

Also would have expected a tutorial not to need a IP lic in order to evaluate the product. 

Thanks 

Paul
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

_something_ needs an IP license or you wouldn't be getting that message and you won't be able to run in standalone/untethered mode without resolving it. 

Do you have a license for Nios II core? Though the "e" core does not require one, the others do.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The two Warning messages I'm getting are: 

Warning: "Nios II Processor (6AF7_00A2)" will use the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature Warning: ""DDR High Performance Controller" (6AF7_00BE)" will use the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature  

Reading the warning message box again when programming its says "Time Remaining - unlimited". 

So still confused by this.?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both of those pieces of IP require that you keep the OCP window open after programming..."tethered" mode...for evaluation purposes only. When cores use OCP, they query the host periodically to make sure it's still connected. Closing that window closes that connection. 

You would need licenses for both the Nios II and the DDR controller in order to proceed with the design/tutorial as is. 

Regards, 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

many thanks for your help - thats what I was doing, closing the box not understanding it. 

I've been very impressed witht he kit and will be spending more time with it. 

I got it so that I could add a review to the DesignSpark website, here if your intrested -> link (http://www.designspark.com/product/nios-ii-evaluation-kit-cyclone-iii#comment-1633

Support from you guys on the Forum have been great in helping me along. 

Thanks again. 

Paul
0 Kudos