FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

NIOS Processor does not boot using QSPI Flash.

himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,
I am trying to boot Nios II Processor from QSPI Flash on MAX10 dev kit.

For that I have prepared one design that blink one LED via software(.hex).

I performed all the steps mentioned in AN 730: Nios II Processor Booting Methods in MAX 10 FPGA Devices for Option 5. But not able to blink the LED[0] on Power Cycle after programming the HEX File into QSPI Flash.

Attached document for steps that I have performed for reference. Also attached .zip file of the QSYS design & NIOS Project.

Please share your feedback.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

I would suggest you compile the .sof file into the Max10 Dev kit first to see whether the LED[0] is blinking or not before generating and converting to the HEX and .pof file. If there are no errors with compiling the .sof file, we can further know the issue lies on generating the HEX AND .pof file or QSPI flashing.

I will further perform the tasks and check the source of errors.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

I have already compiled the .sof file into Max10 Dev Kit and verified the LED[0] is blinking or not. The LED[0] was blinking when I run the software project using NIOS Tool. After that  only I generated the hex file. 

After this the .pof file for the HEX File generated was also created successfully. And this .pof was programmed into the QSPI Flash long with .pof generated while compilation being programmed into MAX10 Device.

But still after Power Cycle the LED[0] does not blink. I don't know where the issue lies. I have also attached the files for your reference.

I would like to hear if any resolution for this issue exists.

Regards

Himanshu

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,

Did you look further for the source of errors on this issue ?

If yes, then please share your response.

Regards,

Himanshu

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi Himanshu,

Any updates regarding the feedback provided? Do you still encounter the same problem when programming the .sof file into the Max10 Dev Kit?

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

No, I does not encounter any problem when .sof is programmed into the Max10 Dev Kit. Everythings works fine. The only problem I am facing is that I am not able to boot the NIOS Processor where a software code has been written to blink the LED[0] on Power Cycle.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Is the feedback and suggestion provided useful for you? One more point to take note is that pin assignments for the LED[0], which is T20 needs to be assigned on Quartus's pin planner so that it can blink. Hope this could solve your issue.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

Yes, the PIN Assignment is done for LED[0] as T20 in the PIN Planner. The LED[0] blinks when I run the software project from NIOS TOOL. But the same does not work when I try boot this design using the HEX File and POF File. 

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 9/10 survey.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Could you kindly log in to  ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’ to reopen this case so that I can support your question further.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

From the files that you have sent, I do not see a .v file which is also your design file. It should have a verilog file where you write the code for the LED[0] to blink. Try writing a verilog code for your project to allow the LED[0] to blink.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

The .v file which is also the design file for my project is already there. You will find this file at the following location from the previous zip file I attached here.

Location : nios_boot_max10\sys_A\synthesis\submodules\sys_A_led0.v

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

I have found more relevant information on how to boot using QSPI Flash with this link here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/processor-application-copied-from-general.html

For the qsys hardware design, you will need to change the generic_quad_spi_controller_0 to general_serial_flash_interface_0 and change the GSFI parameters according to the QSPI flash size.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

KellyJialin_Goh_0-1666770382016.png

Hi,

Here is the GSFI IP settings that you need to change after changing your qsys design to a GSFI IP.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,

Thank You for your response.  I will surely try this one. As I am bit busy with some other work,  I can't test it right now. 

I will surely go with general_serial_flash_interface_0  instead of generic_quad_spi_controller_0 once I am finished with my work.

Will keep you updated after verifying the changes you mentioned above.

Thank you,

Regards,

Himanshu

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

HI,

Is the information provided useful to you?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your side on the booting?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Hi, yes go ahead with the GSFI settings that I suggested and change the IP from generic_quad_spi_controller_0 to general_serial_flash_interface_0. Follow the link above and screenshot for the GSFI IP settings that I posted, and you shall have a new hardware design for QSPI booting on your Intel Max10 devkit.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates on the booting of the QSPI flash after changing the hardware design? Here is the link for your reference from the previous post to change the IP just in case you missed out: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/processor-application-copied-from-general.html

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,

I have not yet tried to boot QSPI flash using general_serial_flash_interface_0 in the hardware design as I am busy with some other work right now. I will surely try to build the design using general_serial_flash_interface_0 as soon as I am done with my work.

I will keep you updated after trying the suggestion you provided.

Thank You for the feedback.

Regards,

Himanshu

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your side?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos