FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

NIOS Processor does not boot using QSPI Flash.

himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,
I am trying to boot Nios II Processor from QSPI Flash on MAX10 dev kit.

For that I have prepared one design that blink one LED via software(.hex).

I performed all the steps mentioned in AN 730: Nios II Processor Booting Methods in MAX 10 FPGA Devices for Option 5. But not able to blink the LED[0] on Power Cycle after programming the HEX File into QSPI Flash.

Attached document for steps that I have performed for reference. Also attached .zip file of the QSYS design & NIOS Project.

Please share your feedback.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,

As suggested by you I have tried to boot MAX10 DEVICE by using general_serial_flash_interface_0 in my design. Still I am facing the same issue. The NIOS Processor does not boot.  I have referred the following document for using general_serial_flash_interface_0: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/processor-application-copied-from-general.html

Kindly give your feedback for the root cause of this issue.

Thank You,

Himanshu

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

You have to download a PFL(Parallel Flash Loader) project to program the QSPI flash. For more info please check: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_pfl.pdf

I will share with you an example of the MAX10 QSPI boot and the PFL(Parallel flash programmer), use this project .sof file to program the FPGA to work as a bridge to the flash. Then choose the design .pof file to program the flash then reset the board to boot from the flash successfully. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Attached here is a zip file for the pfl:

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Attached here is the MAX10 QSPI booting design file:

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your side after downloading the Parallel Flash Loader(PFL)? Can it flash now?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,

I am already being able to download the hex(.pof) file in the QSPI Flash by running the sof of Parallel Flash Loader Project into the MAX10 Dev Board. I have no issues in detecting the QSPI Flash and programming it in the programmer.

The issue here is that after programming the QSPI Flash the NIOS Processor does not boot on Power Cycle as per requirements.

You can further give your feedback on this issue.

Regards,

Himanshu

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Greetings,

Hope we have clarify your doubts. May I set this case to close pending? You may reopen a new case on further issues that you encounter on our forum and we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
himanshuvaria
Beginner

Hello,

No, I am still not being able to boot the NIOS Processor after downloading the hex(pof) in QSPI Flash. All the feedback provided by you has been looked after but the outcome is still the same.

Regards,

Himanshu

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

I see that the flash device you use from the Dev kit is N25Q512A83. Unfortunately, the flash chip GD25Q16  is not supported. The supported flash devices for configuration memory are, EPCQ, EPCQ-A, EPCQ-L, and Micron* MT25Q (256Mb to 2Gb) devices, therefore QSPI flash will not boot.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Can I kindly get an update or confirmation from your side as soon as possible? Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 9/10 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos