FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5238 Discussions

Need for two different I/O voltages on the same bank

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess there's no solution for that, but I wanted to give a try anyway. So my situation is below. 

I'm using DE2-115 together with a Terasic LTM module on the GPIO port and a Texas Instruments acquisition evaluation module on the HSMC port. 

LTM module uses a 3.3 V I/O standard, or at least I'm supposing it, since its user manual doesn't mention it explicitly, but it seems to use a 3.3 V power supply (anyway it's already working with 3.3 V I/O, so I'm pretty sure about that's its standard). So I had to set my JP6 jumper in the 3.3 V correspondent position.  

At the same time, I would need a 1.8 V clock signal on the SMA out connector to use with the TI EVM. Unfortunately, the FPGA pin connected to the SMA_CLKOUT is on the same bank of GPIO pins (bank 4), so I'm actually having a 3.3 V I/O standard on it. 

Is there anything I can try to overcome the problem? What would you do? 

Regards, 

Lorenzo
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What would you do? 

--- Quote End ---  

A 50-ohm source termination and a 50-ohm end termination create a voltage divider 50/(50+50)* 3.3V = 3.3V/2 = 1.65V. 

Viola!  

A 1.65V clock should work fine with 1.8V logic. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok Dave, now I'm a fan of yours :)  

Thank you. 

Cheers, 

Lorenzo