FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Nios II Etherent Standard Design Example on 3C120 development kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

After trying multiple SOPC designs, several revisions of quartus/NIOS EDS, I have settled on the NiosII Ethernet example from the altera site  

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-net-std-de.html 

The design is as simple as possible hardware wise. There are several issues in porting this to the 3C120 Dev Kit - (with help from others) I will try to list them here in this thread. 

That the pin out used in the QAR file routes the Ethernet lines to the mezzanine connector rather then using the standard 881111 marvel phy on the baseboard. To use the baseboard phy I redefined the following pins in the pin planner 

enet_resetn AD2 

enet_txd0 W4 

enet_txd1 AA5 

enet_txd2 Y5 

enet_txd3 W3 

enet_rxd0 W8 

enet_rxd1 AA6 

enet_rxd2 W7 

enet_rxd3 Y6 

enet_tx_en AA7 

enet_mdio L5 

enet_mdc N8 

enet_gtx_clk T8 

enet_rx_dv AB4 

enet_rx_clk B14 

I also enabled RGMII mode in the software by adding the 881111 to the phy profile  

alt_tse_system_info tse_mac_device[MAXNETS] = { 

//Macro defined in altera_avalon_tse_system_info, should match TSE configuration 

TSE_SYSTEM_EXT_MEM_NO_SHARED_FIFO( 

TSE_MAC, //tse_name 

0, //offset 

SGDMA_TX, //sgdma_tx_name 

SGDMA_RX, //sgdma_rx_name 

TSE_PHY_AUTO_ADDRESS, //phy_address 

&marvell_cfg_rgmii, //phy_cfg_fp 

DESCRIPTOR_MEMORY) //desc_mem_name 

}; 

I added a 125 mhz enet phy pll generating 125, 25 and 2.5 mhz on it's 3 outputs. I added SOF files restraining the RGMII interfaces ala the linux design 

The following is what I receive from the target 

InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1  

Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved.  

prep_tse_mac 0 

Static IP Address is 169.254.1.234 

prepped 1 interface, initializing... 

[tse_mac_init] 

INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x00000800 

INFO : PHY Marvell 88E1111 found at PHY address 0x12 of MAC Group[0] 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device[0] 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... 

WARNING : PHY[0.0] - Auto-Negotiation FAILED 

MARVELL : Enabling auto crossover 

MARVELL : PHY reset 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Checking link... 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Link not yet established, restart auto-negotiation... 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... 

WARNING : PHY[0.0] - Auto-Negotiation FAILED 

WARNING : PHY[0.0] - Link could not established 

WARNING : PHY[0.0] - Auto-Negotiation not completed! Speed = 100, Duplex = Full 

TSEMAC SW reset bit never cleared! 

OK, x=10002, CMD_CONFIG=0x00002000 

MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x04000200 

[tse_sgdma_read_init] RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created 

mctest init called 

IP address of et1 : 169.254.1.234 

Created "Inet main" task (Prio: 2) 

Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) 

Simple Socket Server starting up 

[sss_task] Simple Socket Server listening on port 30 

Simple Socket 

Server 

MAC:0007ED1180C9 

IP ADDRESS: 

TCP PORT:30 

Telnet to me!!!! 

Wondering if someone can tell me what I missed... The OS is obviously up... There is no phy link established...
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Crayner, 

I have exactly the same problem and its driving me crazy ... did you work this out in the end?  

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Best Regards,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The only triple_speed_ethernet_design that works in this kit is from the Nios II software installation directory:- 

C:\altera\91\nios2eds\examples\verilog\niosII_cycloneIII_3c120\triple_speed_ethernet_design  

Regarding the error "Error: Node instance "the_pll" instantiates undefined entity "altpllenet_pll” project". This is solved by reopening the SOPC Builder, and regenerating the SOPC system. After successful System generation, then recompile Quartus II project. The pll error will disappear.  

After that, to build and run SSS:- 

1. Launch Nios II command shell. 

2. Navigate to \triple_speed_ethernet_design\software_examples\app\simple_socket_server_tse_3c120_rgmiiand and run the script to compile the project by typing ./create-this-app as shown in create_this_app.jpg 

this creates the application but more importantly, patches the code to run on this devkit. i have tried just about every cut of code/hw/sw i found - this is the only way to get this baseline functional that i have found. 

3. After successfully running the create-this-app script, you could import simple_socket_server_tse_3c120_rgmii and its corresponding bsp project (ucosii_net_tse_3c120_rgmii) to Nios II SBT for Eclipse to run the SSS. 

4. To import, launch your Nios II SBT for Eclipse, from the "File" menu, choose "Import", under "Nios II Software Build Tools Project" >> choose "Import Nios II Software Build Tools Project" and click "Next". 

5. Browse to the project path of where simple_socket_server_tse_3c120_rgmii locates and simply enter the desired project name.  

6. Repeat the step (5) and (6) to import ucosii_net_tse_3c120_rgmii. 

7. After importing both app and bsp projects to Nios II SBT for Eclipse, you are now ready to build and run the SSS project.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Crayner, 

Thanks heaps for your help. It works! The only simple addition to your instruction set would be to advise to use the quartus project directory as the workspace you are importing into.  

Now to try to work out what hs been done so that I can utilise this on my target hardware design. 

Thanks again for taking the time to solve my problem!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

good luck. This has been nothing but pain... ever see "Fight Club"?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

one of my favorite movies ... and yes... this was my first time in the "Altera Ethernet Interface", and I "had to fight!". Lets hope that I dont have to go to the same extremes to rid myself of the "Tyler Durdens" that will rise once I try to get this running on my actual target hardware :-)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Crayner, everything compiled for me too (Quartus/Nios 10.0 and 3C120 bd). Though I would use the word "torture" instead of "pain" for describing the adventures with Altera's dev boards. 

Now I'm looking forward to the wonderful adventures that await me as I attempt to customize the TSE example to stream A2D data to a PC. I'm sure the crystal-clear Altera TSE documentation will guide me along with ease.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In my reverse engineering and comparison between working and non working systems ... I find this hardware difference interesting. In the working version .. I find what would seem to be a very naughty verilog conditional clock swap statement:  

assign tx_clk_to_the_tse_mac = (eth_mode_from_the_tse_mac) ? (enet_tx_125) : // GbE Mode = 125MHz clock 

(ena_10_from_the_tse_mac) ? (enet_tx_2p5) : // 10Mb Mode = 2.5MHz clock 

(enet_tx_25); // 100Mb Mode = 25MHz clock 

whereas in the NON-WORKING hardware version I see they have tried to resynchronise all lcoks to 125MHz - sacrificing mark space ratios in the 25MHz and 2.5MHz clock domains as a result. I suspect that the 25MHz 3:2 Mark/Space that results from this. 

From the 88E1111 Device Specification ... 4.12 RGMII/RTBI Interface Timing, (page217) - the Tcycle_high100 (High time for 100Base-T) is 16 -> 24nS.  

2*8nS = 16nS ... thats right on the edge of the device specification with 2/5 : 3/5 mark space ratio. Dont think this is the problem ... but still think both solutions need work hardware wise.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is the marvell phy 88e1111 programmable through software?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

so, it guesses what you want it to do and just does it. 

...any issues with lead paint in your home town?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is there any specific documentation on that example simple_socket_server_tse_3c120_rgmii ? I've searched on a whole lot of TSE and NIOS II manuals. 

The example is working as far as toggling the LED's goes. But the "S" - Lightshowcommand isn't working. Is that supposed to make the LED's blink? 

@crayner: why do you need to import the ucosii_net_tse_3c120_rgmii into the Nios II SBT ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I can see you dont; if you'd rather work in a standard environment (ie emacs, + makefile) it should work fine - just not the path I took, as this company is a startup and has no "real" build environment/infrastructure (ie we use quartus for synthesis - nuff said?)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can someone tell me how I can extend the simple socket server design using the sopc builder?  

I've read here (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii5v4.pdf) that the sopc builder creates a top level entity .v or .vhd file. So I made a change to the existing sopc system in the example (tserd_3c120) and re-generated it. This doesn't change anything in the the existing tserd_3c120.v file which is the top level entity for the quartus project. What am I missing here?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Typically you will make a top level file contain the sopc instance as well as your own logic tied to your own pinout. Say you add a UART interface: when you regenerate your sopc image you need to open your top, add the addtional signals from the large sopc generated file instance to the instantiation as well as add the pins to your top to route the new signals from sopc to the outside world 

sopc builder has no concept of what your pinout looks like or what your signal names are in your top level design. 

additionally as a debug tool, I have at some times placed PIO blocks in the hardware and tied status lines from various sopc generated modules to them to give the nios a place to check status on various signal states - this is done by hand in the top level...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok, thanks! The example is in verilog which I'm not very fermiliar with (rather vhdl). I've added a PIO (1 pin wide) in the sopc system and then tried to change the tserd_3c120.v by declaring an input. I don't know how I can assign that input to an output such as the user_led[0]. ? I've tried a couple of things but error messages say that this input is not known to the sopc instance. 

For example: I want to take on clock pin which is my input and let it be shown on an led. I want to toggle that with a command via telnet. (I know about pin assignment editor and which pins I have to assign) What changes in my hardware design files in the example do I need to make?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In your top file, add a counter to divide the clock down to a reasonable blink rate  

Ex: In many of my designs say I have a 50 mhz clk, I make a 29 bit counter that I route bit 26 to a led and use bit 29 to switch between it and a OS process that blinks the led via a PIO write - this shows me if 1 hardware is loaded (the counter blinking the LED slowly) and 2 the OS is running (the SW blinking it fast) 

To do this I add a wire from pio output .pio_out() in the SOPC builder's instance in the top to the io assign and switch with the ? operator  

assign led_output = counter[29] ? counter[26] : pio_out; 

reg [29:0] counter; 

always@(posedge clk_50mhz or negedge global_resetn) 

begin 

if(global_resetn == 0) 

begin 

counter <= 0; 

end 

else 

begin 

counter <= counter + 29'h00000001; 

end 

end
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe my question is too simple. So if my clock input is called "ada_dco" and I've defined a ada_dco pio INPUT component in my sopc builer: how do I assign that component to the led? I would do it this way: 

module tserd_3c120 

( ... 

input hsma_clk_in_p2, 

); 

assign user_led[0] = hsma_clk_in_p2;  

//hsma_clk_in_p2 is schamtic name for clock ada_dco 

//I still don't know how to use that pio sopc component in the verilog code. 

tserd_3c120_sopc tserd_3c120_sopc_inst 

( ... 

.in_port_to_the_ada_dco (hsma_clk_in_p2), // <- ??  

); 

endmodule 

Before I implement a counter or anything I just want an led to output the clock signal on my telnet command (even if I don't see the blinking due to the frequency) and turn OFF on the telnet server command.
0 Kudos