FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5874 Discussions

Nios II Flash Programmer problem in my DE1 Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,i use Nios II Flash Programmer to test Flash programmer on my DE1 Board,but it say NO CFI TABLE FOUND ON oxo. I set the flash address 0x0 in the sopc builder,and maybe i find the problem,the problem is the flash's pin PIN_SELECT_N is not correct,in the data sheet,there is no FL_CE_N pin assignment,so i assign PIN_G11 to the SELECT_N,but it also say NO CFI TABLE FOUND ON 0x0.could anybody can help me? 

DE1 Board is the Development & Education Board
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use Quartus II 9.0 version software.another question.why i add user component in sopc builder,so there is no export signal in the software.who can explain it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please make a try about PIN_AB15! 

Handsome
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much! I have solve the problem by myself. It is ture to assign PIN_AB15 to the pin CE_N,that is ok! I solve the problem by study the DE1_Schematic.pdf. It is very kind of your's help!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i am also trying to use flash programmer... may i know your method to do so? 

did you program the pof file first then flash program the nios ide code?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

maybe u should describe your question more clearly!Generally speaking,u should burn the SOF file into FPGA first after building it,then use nios2-flash-programmer to check whether the hardware conncetion is right?If there is no problem,u can burn the nios2 file into flash successfully!  

Hopefully this makes sense! 

Handsome
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,kanabalize 

u can also use Flash programmer, if u don't want to maka a board description,u should use Quartus II version at least 7.1, build u system in sopc builder,and then set the reset exception in cfi_flash,and in nios II IDE build u project,if there is no error,u can burn u code into flash by flash programmer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

okay, 

Here is my problem.... i am using de2 board and i bult my nios2 proc using sopc then i have written the verilog top-file... 

the after hitting generate in quartus 2.. i programmed my generated design into the de2 board but i am using active serial programming because i dont want my design to be lost everytime i power up the board.... hence i selected the pof file as required..... 

Next, i fired up the nios II ide and i written some simple programs in it..... here is my problem.... "how can i retain the program that i have written in nios 2 ide, so that the program i have written using the ide wont be lost next time i power up my board...?" 

Currently, everytime i power up my board, the quartus design file (pof) file is not erased but the nios 2 ide program got erased but i dont want that to happen... hence i am thinking in using flash device to do so... how can i do it??? 

currently in my SOPC there are no flash device what so ever... 

there is only onboard mem and sdram.... 

please help me..... :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well,i see! 

if u don't want to lost the program when u power up your board next time,u must add CFI or EPCS Serical Flash Controller module before your generate the sopc system,as well as Avalon-MM Tristate Bridge.(remember,u should set reset address to cfi_flash or ecps_flash) 

After that,u can use nios2-flash-programmer in NiosII command shell to test whether the hardware connection of flash is right!if there is no problem,it will shows some detail messages of your flash. 

Then,use NiosII to build a project,after that ,u can use flash programmer to burn it into the flash or EPCS. 

The last step,repower your board,it will boot from the EPCS,and then load the software in flash.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

really? 

That simple? 

Thanks, handsome.... very much !!! ;)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes! 

It's as simple as that! 

Handsome
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to follow your instructions but got following problems. 

Board = DE2 

Try to save Nios II hardware in EPCS. 

Try to save Nios II software in DE2 onboard flash 

I am able to program EPCS with .sof + .elf, but when I repower DE2, nothing happened? 

EPCS = 0x00000000 to 0x000007FF = CPU reset address 

Any idea? Thanks.
0 Kudos