FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Nios2 Stratix II Development Board Power Adapter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have an older Nios2 development board that has a missing power adapter. I notice that the board denotes +-12V to +/- 18V and the documentation online that best resembles that board refers to a 17V supply. The board is the 2 UART version circa 2005 or so timeframe with a Stratix II EP2S60F672C5K. 

I'm not sure what the current should be for the power adapter into the board or what the actual spec is for the adapter. If anybody has the adapter laying about for this board, the spec would be hugely appreciated. I'm not sure looking for a 12-17 V supply is the only thing I need to be concerned with - just don't want to plug anything into the board. (Learned that lesson eons ago.) 

Many Thanks in advance!!!!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Take a photo of the board and post it. It'll be easier for people to recognize. 

Do you have the schematic for the part. If its a well-designed schematic, it should have the maximum current required for the input supply, or at least the maximum current from each of the generated supplies. 

The other way to figure it out is to use a lab supply first, check things work, put in a power-consuming design, and then buy a fixed voltage supply that exceeds the measured numbers. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave. Excellent idea on the photo. So I attached it here. I don't have a lab supply. I did find a schematic for the board on the Altera site (I think.) I did see some 5A notations, but not directly on the path from the connector, but on the same page of the schematic. That's a software guy's view of a schematic :). In the meantime, the pic. Thank you very much for the response.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the pic! 

Ok, so its not the NIOS II Development Kit, Stratix II Edition, cause that looks different: 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-niosii-2s60.html 

You could download the schematic for this board and compare it to your board. If the two boards have used the same switch-mode power controllers, then you'd have pretty high confidence that you could use the same power adapter. 

For example, I have a Stratix II DSP development kit. It has a GlobeTek TR9KT3750LCP-Y supply that outputs 16V at 3.75A. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It looks like this one though. Look at the block diagram on page 13. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/mnl_nios2_board_stratixii_2s60.pdf 

No info on the current rating though. However, use the value I just provided for the DSP kit. That should be fine. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave. I'm fairly certain its an Altera board albeit an older one. It has the Altera logo on the board print. Thats the same manual I was looking at as well. It labeled the connector as J26 and the board matches the drawing, but like you noted the manual was missing the current.  

I like your suggestion regarding the use of an adapter that matches the characteristics of one that comes with the DSP ref boards. I would guess that of all the things that could change among ref boards that manufactures would at least try to keep the power adapters and other commodity parts the same board to board.  

Many thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Have a good weekend.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm fairly certain its an Altera board albeit an older one. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yeah, I think is a "NIOS Development Kit, Stratix II Edition". It looks similar to this Stratix board: 

http://vlsicad.eecs.umich.edu/bk/slots/cache/www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-nios_1s10.html 

--- Quote Start ---  

I like your suggestion regarding the use of an adapter that matches the characteristics of one that comes with the DSP ref boards. 

--- Quote End ---  

The one thing that changes with these adapters is the diameter of the center contact. If you get that right, then you can just by a CUI adapter from Digikey. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos