FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

No Nios II target connection paths were located. Check connections and that a Nios I

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I am new to Altera tools. I am trying to run through the BeMicro SDK Lab Instructions (November 2010, Version 10.0) and came up with the error: 

"no nios ii target connection paths were located. check connections and that a nios ii .sof is downloaded.

when trying to refresh connections. 

I am running it on Windows 7 64 bit. Is this the problem?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Apparently no on here has an answer.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there are a couple hits on the forum, have you taken a look? 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24941
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I looked at those and tried the command shell. When I try to use the "nios2-terminal" I get the following reply back in the command shell: 

"There are no JTAG cables available on your system. 

However, when I go to my PC's Device Manager, "Altera USB-Blaster" shows up in the USB section. When I tell it to update the driver, it comes back and says: 

"The best driver software for your device is already installed". 

I have also tried re-installing the Quartus and Nios software as administrator---same result when it gets to this part of the lab.....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that's definitely a clue, it's never going to talk if the USB Blaster isn't recognized 

how about the last post here: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21850 

i don't have a BeMicro to test with
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That post says: 

"In the bemicro download there is a folder called "programmer" that includes the file "setup.exe"." 

Well, I do not find a "programmer" folder in the bemicro download.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what version are you running? are you able to see the USB Blaster and program with it in Quartus II programmer? 

i have seen a real USB Blaster show up in Device Manager but not in Quartus II Programmer. eventually they wrote a solution on it, but i had to download a different version of the Quartus II Stand Alone Programmer. then in Device manager uninstall the USB Blaster device, remove it, then plug it in and ask the wizard to search the USB Blaster driver directory of the newly installed software
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, so now I am a bit confused--excuse me, I am a newbie at this, but the lab said nothing about using Quartus II. 

Is it necessary to have Quartus open? 

The lab says "For this lab, the system definition and design is complete and an FPGA image derived from that has been flashed into the BeMicro SDK kit. Our objective is to learn how to use the Nios II EDS to build software projects forthis system." 

Or, is there a better lab to use to make sure the BeMicro is configured? 

I am just using this lab to get familiar with the tools, and if there is a better lab to use I will do that, the hardware lab, for example.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you open Quartus, then the Programmer window, you can see if Quartus itself actually sees the USB Blaster 

did you get your BeMicro from an Arrow FAE? perhaps they can help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am assuming you mean in the Programmer Add Hardware. No. It is not seeing it there.

0 Kudos