FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Noisy Arria 10 eval kit

OHarb1
Novice

Does anyone have any experience with connecting bigger fans to Arria 10 eval kits?

Finding a place for this PC is very awkward as it can be heard all the way down the hallway...

This is a safety and health issue...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-a10-gx-fpga.html

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

You can try with those small external USB fan that you can easily purchase in computer retail shop to blow on the dev kit board FPGA device.

It should be more quiet, just that I am not sure how effective it will be. It also depends on how much FPGA core logic that your design consumed. The more logic it consumed, the hotter FPGA will get, hence a better cooling system is required.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
OHarb1
Novice

I was hoping for a more proven solution. I don't mind if it costs money. In fact, we'd easily save money as we now have to speak with the landlord about where to place the machine...

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

It's not about money issue here.

The proven thermal cooling solution from Intel is the one that comes by default on the dev kit board.

if you are serious about considering alternative thermal solution, I would recommend below proper design practice.

Like wise you can wait to see if other user besides Intel had conducted similar thermal analysis and can share their finding here.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
OHarb1
Novice

Thanks!

Power consumption is trivial: we have to allow for worst case. This is an eval board and we're developing the RTL, so if we get something wrong, we could easily max out the power consumption budget.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

noted.

Alright, wish you all the best in developing your design.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

alright, for now I am setting this case to closure.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos