FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

On Stratix 10 GX dev kit, the D3 error LED is red shortly after power up. Is this normal?

TTetz1
Beginner

All DIP switches are configured as listed in the User Guide, UG-20046 (So, please don't just link the user guide again in response.)

Running the dev kit in bench top mode.

I've been unable to program the device, always getting a "synchronization error", although it identifies fine in jtagconfig output. So, I'm trying to find out if this power up behavior, with the red LED, is normal or not. (If it is normal, presumably it would go off if I was able to successfully program the FPGA, correct?)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Tom, Red LED means that configuration is error. If it goes off, by right it shouldn't light up. What about the green LED? does it light up? https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-s10-fpga-devl-kit.pdf (Page 9) Can you show me the screenshot of error message that you got when you program the device. Regards, YL
0 Kudos
TTetz1
Beginner

Yes, I know the Error LED means configuration fails. The question is if it is normal for this to be red immediately after power on.

On the question of the green LED, if you mean D45, the power LED, then yes -- it lights up when the board is turned on, as expected.

Attached is the screenshot of the error message when I attempt to program the device . I also attached the message from jtagconfig, which shows that at least it is identified on the chain.

0 Kudos
TTetz1
Beginner

hmm, I guess I can only attach one file per reply. Attached is the other file.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Tom, Yes it is completely normal. The device will try to configure again for several times if configuration fails. As long as the green LED (configuration done indicator) lights up in the end, it should be fine. Can you try to change the TCK frequency of your USB Blaster II to 6MHz? Regards, YL
0 Kudos
TTetz1
Beginner

Thanks. I did try 6MHz on USB Blaster II, as well as some even slower speeds. I still get synchronization errors. I'll try again on Monday to see if I can get anything at all programmed on the board.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Tom, Also, can you change the switch and jumper to default settings on the board? Please let me know if problem is still existed. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-s10-fpga-devl-kit.pdf (Page 10) Regards, YL
0 Kudos
TTetz1
Beginner
I did get a simple sof file programmed on the fpga. The important change was to set SW1 to JTAG only instead of the default, which was AVST x16. I didn't look at the D3 LED afterwards, I was just happy to get anything to work On Tue, Feb 12, 2019, 11:39 PM Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com wrote:
0 Kudos