FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Over sampling on Intel Stratix 10 Gx transceiver SI development kit

JSu
Employee

According to "Intel® Stratix® 10 GX/SX Device Overview" (April 8, 2021), S10 transceivers can support data rates below 1 Gbps with over sampling.

I have a set of Intel S10 GX transceiver SI development kit and have been able to tweak  high data rate (25 to 28Gbps) by altering Transceiver dedicated clock (Y1 clock block).

Now when I try to set data rate to 6.4Gbps, the clock frequency is set and PLL lock shows "All Locked". However, the data rate shows 28Gbps always.

May I ask how to set "over sampling" on S10 GX Transceiver SI development kit in order to get 1.6Gbps or 6.4Gbps?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, It mentioned it can support data rates below 1Gbps with over sampling. That means you need to stuff extra samples before feeding.

And to get 1.6Gbps or 6.4Gbps, it is already above 1Gbps. Why do you need over sampling?

Can you please more specific and clear with your query.

Also, please mention which OS , Quartus version and device OPN you are using?

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos
JSu
Employee

Hi Kshitij,

Here is the link to the transceiver SI development kit I am using - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/fpga/development-kits/stratix/10-gx-signal-integrity.html

I am using Windows 10 and Quartus Pro 18.1.

Please let me elaborate my question a bit more...I send 28.25Gbps over transmitter on a transceiver on the development kit and receive 1.6Gbps over the receiver on the same transceiver. In this case, reference clock (Y2) will be 644.35MHz. My question - will the receiving path take data in 1.6Gbps? If not, how to (as S10 support 1.6Gbps with oversampling)?

Thank you,

Jun

0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Any update on this.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It sounds like you want a TX running at 28.25G, and an RX running at 1.6G. in that case, this is not an oversampling problem. what you need to do is implement dual simplex. So separate TX and separate RX PHY IP. that way, no oversampling on the RX is required and you can run in LTD mode.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos
JSu
Employee

Thank you for your comment. Yes, that is exactly the mode I plan to run on Tx and Rx respectively. Does S10 GX support this operation (dual simplex)? Can you please elaborate a bit more how to operate dual simplex on S10 GX?

0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You need a dedicated transmitter @28G and Receiver @1.6G. You need to choose the Tx simplex and Rx simplex for transmitter and receiver and generate the two different PHY's and instantiate and place them in the same physical location. It means you will IP's one for Tx and another for Rx.

Note: There are some rules follow that. Read UG. It is simple.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos