FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

PCI Express board not detected in window PCIx list - Cyclone IV Dev Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm trying to develop a PCIx Interface using the Cyclone IV GX Transceiver Starter Kit ( DK-START-4CGX15N ) with the Cyclone IV EP4CGX15BF14C8N. 

I'm using the driver interface from Jungo to develop the driver. However, I have a problem, the development board is not detected in PCIx list in windows, so I am not able to create the driver. I contacted Jungo and they told me that the problem was on Altera's side. 

Does anybody have an idea why the board is not detected? 

Could it be that the Cyclone IV is not programmed when Windows scans the bus? That would be surprising because Windows takes so much time to start and the bios waits 10 seconds before starting Windows. 

Could it be that the default firmware cannot manage the PCIx? However, when I use the Board Test System, all PCIe tests are working fine. 

I would need help on this one. 

Thanks, 

Chris
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please try this 

1. pwoer up PC (but the PCIe board won't be detected) 

2. program the c4gx board with PCIe design 

3. Reset the PC  

Notice, just reset. Do not power cycle. If you power cycle, the FPGA will be empty. 

4. Now windows should be able to find new device. 

Do not try to install any driver. Just say no or not to install any driver at this time. 

5. If you have Jungo driver, then you should be able to detect the board from the wizard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply, 

However, when I was doing your suggestion, I realized I have an other problems. 

If the dev board is connected to PCIe, I cannot access JTAG chains. However, if I am not connected to PCIe, I do not have any problem to configure, but I am not connected to PCIe. 

Any idea why? 

tks 

Chris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can put the PCIe design in the Flash or EPCS, so you do not need to configure from PC. 

Just program the flash outside of the PC box, power down PC, plug the board in, power up, then the FPGA design should be loaded from the flash or EPCS based on how you program and set the board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Itry all the things you said but windows don't see the card! I use the original code of the card and I select whit the dip switches the PCIe program. I see in the LCD display : Connecting ... 

Is there a special thing to do whit the dip switches ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are seeing "Connecting" then it is not PCIe design. 

It is BUP design. 

You need to configure the board with PCIe. Read document, how to write the PCIe design into the EPCS or CFI flash. Set the board to appropriate, then reboot the PC.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Itry all the things you said but windows don't see the card! I use the original code of the card and I select whit the dip switches the PCIe program. I see in the LCD display : Connecting ... 

Is there a special thing to do whit the dip switches ? 

--- Quote End ---  

You have to install "cycloneIVGX_4cgx15_start_v11.1.0" and in the path <intalled directory>11.1\kits\cycloneIVGX_4cgx15_start\demos you will find a .sof file called "c4gx_hip_x1d.sof" . You can program the FPGA with this file using the quartus programmer or you can convert it to .flash file to program the flash memory with this firmaware (This is what i did) and when you install Yungo Driver and run it, it will recognize the board connected to the PCIe port as well the Operative System and you will be able to get PCIe driver.  

Please let me know if it helped you.  

Juan.-
0 Kudos