FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

PCIe in Stratix IV GX Development Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am going to start PCI Express development using Stratix IV GX development kit. I heard there are some issues in Stratix IV GX development kit regarding PCI Express implementation, is it true?, can anybody give some pointers?? I tried to search about it but didn't got anything useful.. 

regards, 

sawaak
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could you be a little more specific about the issues you've heard? 

I ran the PCIe tests from one of the Altera app notes (PCIe to memory design I believe), and I'm pretty sure some of the examples worked; where 'working' meant that I saw the devices on the PCI bus under Windows. I didn't perform more complete tests, as I didn't have time. I was more interested in checking that my laptop ExpressCard-to-PCIe x1 adapter interfaced to the PCIe motherboard in which I had the S4GXDK installed. 

The laptop was loaded with Windows 7 64-bit. I didn't try accessing the S4GXDK board, since I think the Jungo drivers that Altera supplies only works under Windows 32-bits. At some point, I'll put Linux on the laptop, and then use sysfs file system nodes to perform read/write accesses on the bus, or write a Linux driver. 

The Altera Wiki has a PCIe example that looks nice. I'd take a look at that. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

I heard about board not detected in PC and link establishment issues. 

thanks 

sawaak
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I heard about board not detected in PC and link establishment issues. 

--- Quote End ---  

In a couple of instances, I did not detect the board. However, I don't recall how much debugging I did. There are jumpers on the board that probably need to be changed. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the PCIe interface on the kit, it will just require a little effort in getting each of the operating modes to work correctly. I'm more interested in the transceivers on the device, so haven't looked in detail at PCIe. But, if you have a question, I'll try to help. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos