FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5891 Discussions

Pin compatibility between Cyclone V 5CEBA4 and 5CEBA5

målth
Beginner

Hello,

On this page : 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683375/current/i-o-vertical-migration-for-devices.html

It says that vertical migration path is possible for Cyclone V E U483 package. But when changing the device in Quartus from 5CEBA4F23C8N to 5CEBA5F23C8N, some nodes have illegal location because their associated pins are now set to NC with the new part.

Is the link wrong then ? It seems that it requires board layout changes, as there is no way to re route these not connected ports internally ?

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Vertical migration means that the same package can be used with the same land pattern on the board.  As noted on the page you linked to, you can use the pin migration view in the Pin Planner in Quartus to make sure your I/O design will work with the original device and the device you want to migrate to.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Simon,

Yes, as mentioned by @sstrell, you can always refer to migration view to verify the pin migration compatibility. You can refer here Verifying Pin Migration Compatibility

0 Kudos
målth
Beginner

I still don't understand : What does the blue arrows mean then ?

Because it is expected that same package will have the same land pattern on the board

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

That's what I said.  Anything within a blue arrow has the same land pattern, but you still need to look in the Pin Planner and add the second device as a migration device to verify that your same I/O design will work with the two different devices.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello Simon,

You can refer to this Knowledge Base article (What are the supported migration options for VCCIO pins..) where I think this is the caused why you got the associated pins set to NC with the new part.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

You also can refer to the pin-out documents for 5CEBA4 and 5CEBA5 as I attached here.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Simon,

Please let me know if you have any other doubts.

Regards,

Aqid Ayman

0 Kudos