FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5287 Discussions

Power available on 3.3 V pin of 14-pin header (DE2-115)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using an Altera DE2-115 board together with a Terasic LTM (connected through GPIO header) and an ADC EVM from Texas Instruments (connected through HSMC header) for my prototype. 

Actually, LTM is powered through 3.3 V pin on GPIO; TI's EVM requires instead an external power supply of 3.3 V through a couple of banana jacks. I already have to realize a custom small pcb for my prototype that requires to be connected to the 14-pin header from DE2-115. 

For the sake of practicalness, I'm planning to add to a couple of banana socket to take the 3.3 V power supply I need for TI's EVM directly from DE2-115 board through 14-pin header. 

My problem is assuring myself I can do this, so I need to know how much current DE2-115 can source on VCC3P3 node (so called on its schematics) and how much current is already sinked by the board and by the LTM through GPIO. How can I get these informations? 

Regards, 

Lorenzo
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is my question confused? Is it a totally wrong idea? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hopeful regards, 

Lorenzo
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Lorenzo, 

--- Quote Start ---  

My problem is assuring myself I can do this, so I need to know how much current DE2-115 can source on VCC3P3 node (so called on its schematics) and how much current is already sinked by the board and by the LTM through GPIO. How can I get these informations? 

--- Quote End ---  

The schematic has the part numbers and the data sheets have the maximum currents for each device. However, you've got to consider; 

1) A 100-mil header can support at most 1A. How many of the 100-mil header pins are dedicated to 3.3V and ground? How much current does your external circuit need? 

2) Find the 3.3V regulator and touch it. Is it hot/warm? If you draw current through the GPIO 3.3V pin, then the regulator will get warmer. Is it a linear regulator (it'll get a lot warmer) or switching regulator (its temperature won't change much)? 

3) What is worth more to you; your DE115 board, or an external 3.3V supply?  

If the voltage regulator on the board supports say up to a 1A load, and you can estimate the current draw from the other components on the board, then you can determine what a safe level of current draw is. 

However, I would not recommend drawing anything over a few hundred mA, even if your analysis indicates you can draw more. Being conservative lets you keep your evaluation boards for much longer :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

3) What is worth more to you; your DE115 board, or an external 3.3V supply?  

--- Quote End ---  

Always putting things into perspective :) 

great help as always Dave!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

I already supposed I had to do the analysis you talked about, I was just wondering if the information about the total current consumption of the board itself from 3.3 V reference line was already known and available somewhere. 

Meanwhile, in these days, a few other system considerations persuaded me I have to use some other voltage regulators on my custom pcb, so I'll need an external power supply anyway. 

Again, I have to thank you for your always useful, clear and precise support. 

Cheers, 

Lorenzo
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Lorenzo, 

--- Quote Start ---  

I already supposed I had to do the analysis you talked about, I was just wondering if the information about the total current consumption of the board itself from 3.3 V reference line was already known and available somewhere. 

--- Quote End ---  

Even if it was, you're always better off double-checking with your own analysis. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Meanwhile, in these days, a few other system considerations persuaded me I have to use some other voltage regulators on my custom pcb, so I'll need an external power supply anyway. 

--- Quote End ---  

When designing systems with multiple power rails, its always worth considering the power-on sequence. In the case of your design, since it will be driving FPGA I/Os, and those I/Os are hot-swappable, there is no power-sequencing issue. However, I would recommend using an FPGA GPIO to enable the power to your custom board. That way, even though you have multiple power sources (the DE115 and the external wall-wart), when you turn on the power to the DE115, it will in turn power-up your custom I/O board. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Again, I have to thank you for your always useful, clear and precise support. 

--- Quote End ---  

You're welcome. 

Cheers, 

Dave