Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Problem Implementing clock in Cyclone II (Altera-DE2)

Hello, I want to generate a clock with 50% duty cycle, but the frequency must be 9999 Hz <= f < 10000 Hz. 

I tried implementing with counter division and multiplication, but can't seem to find the way. 

Is there any methods i didn't know to do that? Thanks before.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

you can watch this video to get an idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4fwna3-gi8

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Does the Cyclone II support this?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Is this clock to be used external to the FPGA or just internally?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks, alex96, but actually i've seen that video before and it didn't help because i couldn't see the "Altera PLL" GUI he's using, i guess it was meant for Cyclone V not II. Or did I miss anything? And yes i've got the idea but i have trouble here in implementing. 

Galfonz, from what i read it seems that there's no internal PLL cascading in Cyclone II, and it's for Cyclone III and above who has it in megafunction. But, i think there's must be a way to implement the "cascading" part (referring to the video from alex96), since both Cyclone III and II have 4 PLLs. 

And Tricky, i'm going to use the clock as PWM counter and porting it to GPIO for 9999 Hz PWM.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

because it is Christmas. A simple clock divider you simply need to change the divider variable to the correct number. It depends from your ref clock and what clock you want. Alternatively, you can use a PLL using the megawizzard. 

LIBRARY IEEE; USE IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; USE IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL; ENTITY counter IS PORT( CLK : IN STD_LOGIC; CLR : IN STD_LOGIC; DIV_CLK : OUT STD_LOGIC ); END ENTITY counter; ARCHITECTURE logic OF counter IS BEGIN PROCESS(CLK, CLR) VARIABLE DIVIDER : UNSIGNED(23 DOWNTO 0) := (OTHERS => '0'); BEGIN IF CLR = '0' THEN DIVIDER := (OTHERS => '0'); ELSIF rising_edge(CLK) THEN DIVIDER := DIVIDER + 1; IF DIVIDER = "011111111101001000000000" THEN DIVIDER := (OTHERS => '0'); DIV_CLK <= '1'; ELSE DIV_CLK <= '0'; END IF; END IF; END PROCESS; END ARCHITECTURE logic;
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

If you insist for two PLL then you need to use external path in Cyclone II... 

you can use one prescaler to create input clock for PLL
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Doing so might be problematic. Verify that the output Jitter and waveform quality are acceptable to whatever you are feeding it to.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Okay guys thanks for the explanations and code, in the end I'm using clock division (verilog) + PLL (megawizard, 1 PLL without cascading) for now, while I'm stuck combining the code I made with the megawizard haha. It's a pleasure if somebody give me an easy way to understand megawiz.