FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5921 Discussions

Problem with character LCD on Cyclone III FPGA Development Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am writing because I have a problem with the character LCD on Cyclone III FPGA Development Kit. I cannot write anything on it, I always have the first line completely black, and the second line completely empty. 

I read carefully the documentation and previous posts on the forum about similar problem, and I know that there is an error on the Altera documentation about the enable pin (AC24 instead of AB24). So, I do not understand why that does not work. 

Attaching, I put the schematic file of quartus, the system build with sopc builder, and the properties of the nios project. 

I first try with the following simple program : 

# include <stdio.h> // Needed for printf# include "system.h"# include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h" int main (void) { IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0x35); // Display a known value on leds printf("Hello\n"); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0xA2); // Display a known value on leds while(1); } My leds display well 0xA2 at the end, but nothing on LCD. 

After I try using fprintf, with the following program : 

# include <stdio.h> // Needed for printf# include <unistd.h> // Needed for usleep# include "system.h"# include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h" int main (void) { int nbChar; FILE * lcd; lcd = fopen(LCD_NAME, "w"); // Open the LCD device if (lcd == NULL) // Test the success of the file opening by displaying value on leds IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0x86); else IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0x3C); usleep(5000000); // Pause 5s to read the value on leds nbChar = fprintf(lcd, "Hello\n"); // Printf something on LCD and get the number of characters written IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0xFF & (nbChar >> 24)); // Display on leds the value returned by fprintf (1st 8 bits) usleep(5000000); // Pause 5s to read the value on leds IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0xFF & (nbChar >> 16)); // Display on leds the value returned by fprintf (2nd 8 bits) usleep(5000000); // Pause 5s to read the value on leds IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0xFF & (nbChar >> 8)); // Display on leds the value returned by fprintf (3rd 8 bits) usleep(5000000); // Pause 5s to read the value on leds IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, 0xFF & (nbChar >> 0)); // Display on leds the value returned by fprintf (4th 8 bits) usleep(5000000); // Pause 5s to read the value on leds while(1); } The opening of the file succeed since I see 0x3C on the leds, and the value returned by the fprintf function is well 6. But I still have nothing on LCD. 

If someone have an idea of the cause of this problem, because I really don't see what it can be. 

Thanks in advance 

Jérôme
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your code should work. If not, I will check two things: 

1. Did you connect the LCD external pins (not in SOPC, but in top VHDL file)? 

LCD_ON, -- Power ON/OFF  

LCD_BLON, -- Back Light ON/OFF  

if not, your LCD software may be working, but you will not see anything in the real LCD. 

2. Maybe you need a initialization sequence for the LCD. 

///// LCD control: //////////////////////////////////////////////////////  

// From: http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-micro_mutex.html  

// ESC sequences:  

// From: http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/ansi_escapes.html  

// ESC[#;#H Moves the cursor to line# , column#  

// ESC[2J Clear screen and home cursor  

// ESC[K Clear to end of line # define ESC_TOP_LEFT "[1;0H" # define ESC_BOTTOM_LEFT "[2;0H" # define LCD_CLR "[2J" # define LCD_CLR_LINE "[K"  

static unsigned char ESC = 0x1b; // Integer ASCII value of the ESC character  

void LCD_hello(void)  

{  

FILE* LCD;  

LCD = fopen ("/dev/lcd", "w");  

if (LCD == NULL) {  

printf("LCD open failed\n");  

} else {  

printf("LCD open succeeded\n");  

fprintf(LCD, "%c%s", ESC, LCD_CLR); // Clears LCD  

fprintf(LCD, "LCD demo using\n");  

fprintf(LCD, "Altera HAL in C");  

}  

fclose (LCD);  

}
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

There are no other external pins to connect to the LCD. The power is always given because it is directly connected to vcc (cf picture taken from board schematic). 

I try with the initialization sequence but it doesn't change anything.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I was thinking on DE2 boards, where enable signals should be connected outside SOPC to allow LCD operation. I don't know if it the same for Cyclone III kits.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

The problem is resolved. It was due to the hardware, because I put the data pins in output, whereas they have to be bidirectionnal.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This thread was a good find for me. I have been trying to get the character LCD panel working on a Cyclone III dev. kit and it would show no response. I knew about the enable pin documentation problem and was sure I had it wired properly. I came across this thread and then changed the data lines to bi-directional and now the character LCD works! Thanks for posting your find.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

please can you tell me where to change the data lines to bidirectional. 

Please help, i need this to work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

It's the data pins that you connect to the LCD that have to be bidirectionnal, you do this in Quartus II. In the first picture attached, its LCD_DATA[7_0] (FPGA pins AB3, V6, V5, ..., AA4).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you for your reply. Im new in NIOS II. The LCD is now working. Now i need to write some charater on the LCD if i press a button and a different one when a relaese the button. FOr example: 

if button = 1 "HELLO" 

else "HI". 

i've write the follwing xode but is doesn't work. Can you hel me o n this. 

thank you. 

int main (void

// int nbChar; 

int botao; 

FILE * lcd; 

lcd = fopen(LCD_DISPLAY_NAME, "w"); // Open the LCD device 

botao = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_EDGE_CAP(USER_PB_BASE); 

if (botao == 1) 

fprintf(lcd, "LASSE 2011\n"); 

else 

fprintf(lcd, "Second line 2011\n");  

return(0); 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Few ideas : 

1. Your program executes once and then exits. You have to put your test in a loop such as while(1)

2. When configuring the PIO Core, have you well enabled the edge capture ? On both edges ? 

3. To detect both edges (button pushed and button released) you must change the if else operation you did, because the if tells you if you have a transition (it can be a rising or a falling edge), the else will thus be executed always if you don't touch the button. So inside, the if, you should have a second test to check the current value on the port to determine if it is was rising (1) or falling (0) transition.
0 Kudos