FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5151 Discussions

Problem with compilation option G2, used together with optimization level 02

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello to all,  

I had a pointer out of range linkage error with altera 7.2. The gcc version is 3.235. It seemed I had to use "far" pointers compilation. So I have solved the issue using the compilation option G2. Now I have faced another problem. When I compile the software using G2 and some optimization level. For instance O1, O2 or other, the application links successful, but crashes at runtime. It works fine with no optimizations ( O0 ), but I need to launch it with optimization level O2. So here are my options for Debug and Release: 

For Debug: 

CC_DBG_FLAGS = -G2 -MD -DSYSTEM_BUS_WIDTH=32 -DALT_NO_INSTRUCTION_EMULATION  

-D_TARGET_DEBUG  

-c -D__hal__ -pipe $(LIB_SYMBOLS) -mno-hw-mulx $(CC_HW_FLAGS) -g -O0 -Wall  

$(CC_GCC_DBG_FLAGS_USER) $(INCLUDE_FLAGS) 

For Release: 

CC_REL_FLAGS = -G2 -MD -DSYSTEM_BUS_WIDTH=32 -DALT_NO_INSTRUCTION_EMULATION  

-c -D__hal__ -pipe $(LIB_SYMBOLS) -mno-hw-mulx $(CC_HW_FLAGS) -O2 -Wall  

$(CC_GCC_REL_FLAGS_USER) $(INCLUDE_FLAGS) 

So the only difference between debug and release flags is in the option: -O0 for Debug and O2 for release. In Release my application crashes and this is because of the combination of G2 + O2. It also crashes with the combinations: G1 or G0 + O2. same with O1 or O3. Does anybody have faced such an issue and is there a way I can fix it ?  

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
0 Replies