FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Problems trying to test an example of DE2 using nios2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all 

I'm just trying to learn about SOPC builder and NIOSII. 

At first, I tried the example that reccomends the tutorial in the Altera Debug Client help. 

I think I did all right, but, when I try to compiled and upload the demo, I recieved the following error message: (in red) 

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-ld: command not found 

Compilation stopped. 

I tried another example suggested in the DE2 tutorial, it is tut_sopc_introduction_verilogDE2, but with the same results. 

Any ideas of "what is happening" ????? 

I've reinstalled Quartus (7.0) software, and the problem continue. 

Also the Altera Debug Client comes with my DE2 board. 

I'm using windows XP SP2. 

Any help will be apreciate. 

Regards. 

Alberto.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you also re-installed the NIOS II Embedded Design Suite and the megacore IP? Also, if possible I recommend upgrading to 8.0. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jake. 

Thanks you, but I've installed the entire suite 7.0 as come with my DE2 board DVD. 

Before I tried with a web downloaded 7.2 version. 

And now..I'll try with the web version of the 8.0 to see what happends. 

But note, that the complete example come with the DE2 board, in it's tutorial example. and all files needed to try are there, just you only need the Quartus software to download the .sof file, before the Altera debug client try. 

It is not nescesary to open the niosII software at any time to run this example. 

It seems to me, that all problem is in the Altera debug client software (that comes with the DE2 board) or some demo file is wrong, or I'm missing something. 

Regards. 

Alberto.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK. 

I've tried with the complete 8.0 suite with no luck. 

Now I've installed the 7.2 suite again and the problems continue. 

Then at "mySupport" somebody suggested me the following: 

"I am afraid that Altera Debug Client was not well support for Quartus 7.0. So I would like to suggest you use NiosII IDE or Altera Monitor Program instead of Altera Debug Client." 

I've downloaded the Altera Monitor Program, and now all is working fine. 

So, seems that the given DE2 software with the board, is not at all reliable or  

compatible with "Altera Debug Client" (that comes with the same package). 

There are some other examples that I've still have problems, like the DE2_WEB one. So it sounds more difficult to learn, if examples, software, or some mixed things, are not compatible between them. 

Regards. 

Alberto.
0 Kudos