FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Problems uploading program into flash memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I used the Nios II EDS sof2flash program in the Quartus II 9.1 Web Edition to convert a good/functional sof file to flash format.  

I attempted to use the Board Update Portal to load the flash file into the flash memory on my Stratix IV GX FPGA development board (device EP4SGX230KF40C2N). 

After the file loads 100% successfully into the flash memory, I turn the rotary switch (SW2) on the board from position 0 to 1, then power cycle the board, but an error occurs and red LED D27 comes on. I tried again to upload to the flash memory and when complete, I pressed the CONFIGN button (S1), but I still get the same error. 

By the way, the sof file is targeted to my device and the Mega Cores used in this sof file are all fully licensed. 

I'm not sure if this is happening because I'm using the Web Edition of Quartus II 9.1 or if it's some other issue. Can someone please offer feedback? 

Also, can someone send me a link (or a file) to where I can download ready-made flash files for my device? 

Thanks, 

Eric 

------------------------------------------------------- 

Electronics Engineer 

Microwave and Communication Systems Branch  

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Code 567 

8800 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, USA 

Building 25, Room S054, Mail Code 567.3 

Phone: (301)-286-3439 Email: eric.j.harris@nasa.gov 

-------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same issue with Arria II GX development board and Quartus II 9.1 software. It looks like there is an issue with 9.1 software. Try using 9.0 SP2 it might work. If you want to load a new design try this procedure: 

1. Program the FPGA with the PFL program that comes with the dev kit. Since I am using Arria II GX my factory default SOF file is located in C:\altera\90\kits\arriaIIGX_2agx125es_fpga\factory_recovery\build_factory_source\a2gx_pfl_programming.sof. I am hoping you will have a similar file for Stratix IV dev kit after you install the kit installation from the following website http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-siv-gx.html.  

2. Create the POF file for the flash using Quartus 9.0 SP2, as 9.1 did not work for me. Use the COF in the same directory that is mentioned in step 1 for creating the POF file. Update only the user SOF file and leave the factory default SOF file. 

3. Open Quartus programmer. Click the auto detect button which will show the complete chain. Right click on CFI_<SIZE> and change file to the POF that was created in step 2. Program the USER page(in my case it is page 1, and I think it will be the same for you) of the flash only and do a power cycle. You program will be loaded in the user space of the flash.  

4. You might need to move some switch in the board to a particular position to load the user code. Refer to the reference manual of the card for more help on the switch. 

Hope this helps. 

Kumaran
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Kumaran, 

I installed the Altera Development Kit files and we don't seem to have the equivalent of a a2gx_pfl_programming.sof file.  

So we've been trying to build a PFL using instruction in AN386 http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an386.pdf.  

Looks like we might have to search for this file, obtain version 9.0, and try your suggestions. 

Thanks, 

Eric
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same issue and got it resolved by an SR to Altera. There is an issue with the sof2flash utility in 9.1 which was resolved in sp1. But you need to add two more options than described in the dev.kit guide. Check this support solution: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01152010_225.html 

If this doesn't work I suggest you submit an SR. 

Regards, 

Ove Brynestad
0 Kudos