FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5923 Discussions

Programming the Image Core: Error - quartus_cvp is not recognized as an internal command.

SATC
New Contributor I

I'm trying to connect the Intel Cyclone 10 GX device to PCIe. When I execute the command described in the Intel manual:

quartus_cvp --vid=<Vendor ID> --did=<Device ID> xxx.core.rbf

The terminal presents me the following error:

'quartus_cvp' is not recognized as an internal command

or external, an operable program or a batch file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

After further checking, it looks like quartus_cvp is no longer supported. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Could you try to restart your PC again and try to performed  "cp <filename>.core.rbf /dev/altera_cvp"? I suspect that the PCIe link might be in used which cause the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you install Quartus in your system? May I know if you have setup your system environment? If yes, could you share with me your system environment?

SATC
New Contributor I

Captura de tela de 2020-05-07 16-45-18.png

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

HI,

Have performed the step below? You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_cvp.pdf Chapter - Installing Jungo WinDriver in Linux Systems for more information

Installing Jungo WinDriver in Linux Systems

1. Navigate to <Quartus Prime installation path>/quartus/drivers/wdrvr/linux<32 or 64> 2.
  2. Run the following commands:
    1. ./configure --disable-usb-support
    2. make
    3. su
    4. make install
  3. You can change the permissions for the device file. For example, chmod 666 /dev/windrvr6.
  4. For 64-bit Linux systems, set the Quartus_64BIT environment variable before you run quartus_cvp using the following command:
  • export QUARTUS_64BIT=1
  1. You can use the quartus_cvp command to download *core .rbf files to your FPGA. The following table lists the quartus_cvp commands for all modes

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

Hi John, thank you for your attention,

Actually, I used the sample Linux driver source code provided by Intel to program a custom CvP driver. After follow the installation instruction of https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/devices/cfg-index/cfg-via-protocol.html, I tried execute the command quartus_cvp --vid=<Vendor ID> --did=<Device ID> xxx.core.rbf to to have access to the data passed to the pci through the board

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Since you are using the open source CvP driver, the instruction to performed it will be "cp <filename>.core.rbf /dev/altera_cvp". Please refer to README of the custom CvP driver source code folder.

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

In this case, when I apply the command have the error: insmod: ERROR: could not insert module ./altera_cvp.ko: Invalid module format

Makefile:12: recipe for target 'install' failed, as in the Figure. Even, making sure that the module is already inserted in the kernel (see Figure 2)

Figure 2:Captura de tela de 2020-05-07 22-45-09.pngCaptura de tela de 2020-05-07 22-40-59.png

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you try to install the Quartus CvP from the Quartus installation to see if you are facing any issue?

nstalling Jungo WinDriver in Linux Systems

1. Navigate to <Quartus Prime installation path>/quartus/drivers/wdrvr/linux<32 or 64> 2.
    2. make
    3. su
    4. make install
  3. You can change the permissions for the device file. For example, chmod 666 /dev/windrvr6.
  4. For 64-bit Linux systems, set the Quartus_64BIT environment variable before you run quartus_cvp using the following command:
    1. export QUARTUS_64BIT=1
  5. You can use the quartus_cvp command to download *core .rbf files to your FPGA. The following table lists the quartus_cvp commands for all modes

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

Ok, I reinstalled the Quartus and apparently no problem was identified for the make install.

However when I try to execute the commands for accessed the CvP driver through the device file located at /dev /Altera_cvp, making a copy with cp <filename>.core.rbf / to dev/altera_cvp I get this error: Could not create common file '/ dev / Alter_cvp': Device or resource is busy as is illustrate in Figure.

Captura de tela de 2020-05-08 02-14-30.png

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you are able make install the official code from Quartus which utilized the "quartus_cvp" command?

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

What do you mean with the official Quartus code?

I downloaded the quartus prime software from the official website of intel and installed it. Then I compiled the Pci sample project and am trying to establish the pci connection

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I understand that you are using the open source code previously. If you go to <Quartus Prime installation path>/quartus/drivers/wdrvr/linux<32 or 64>  then you will be able to make and configure the Official Quartus quartus_cvp command from the Quartus installation. Please follow the bellow step in order to install the PCIe driver before you are able to use quartus_cvp.

Installing Jungo WinDriver in Linux Systems

1. Navigate to <Quartus Prime installation path>/quartus/drivers/wdrvr/linux<32 or 64> 
    2. make
    3. su
    4. make install
    1. export QUARTUS_64BIT=1
  5. You can use the quartus_cvp command to download *core .rbf files to your FPGA. The following table lists the quartus_cvp commands for all modes

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

Captura de tela de 2020-05-08 03-28-28.pngJohn, I don't have the driver folder in the Quartus installation path. I installed the jungo windriver and configured it similarly to the one you indicated, following the installation tutorial on the official website. But I still have the result of the previous answer

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

After further checking, it looks like quartus_cvp is no longer supported. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Could you try to restart your PC again and try to performed  "cp <filename>.core.rbf /dev/altera_cvp"? I suspect that the PCIe link might be in used which cause the issue.

0 Kudos
thanhle
Beginner

Hi JohnT_Intel, 
How should I perform Core Image update without installing Intel Quartus Prime ?

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

ok, I will restart the PC.

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

Okay john, it worked.

But now, I have another problem. The data visualization is done through / dev / Alter_cvp, right? but I can't open this file, how should I proceed?

Captura de tela de 2020-05-08 03-55-26.png

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The altera_cvp is used for CvP usage only. You will need to write your own driver to send the data to the PCIe end point.

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

So, as I understand it from this tutorial https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_c10_cvp.pdf

the verification of cvp registers must be done through this file. How can I check the VSEC Registers of CvP status?

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

John,

I believe that the users of the FPGA Cyclone 10 GX card must have already started the projects with the use of PCI, would you know to indicate me a person, question in this forum or a tutorial in pdf of the alteration that guides the development of the PCIe endpoint?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would recommend you to look at the altera_cvp.c code to understand how we are using the it to access the VSEC register.

0 Kudos