FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Project with DE2 + cam + LCD

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone ; 

I work on a project with my study group of 3, it is to produce a system based  

DE2 the card with digital camera and LCD screen, which can detect people on the street, the problem is that we do not have enough information on how to configure SOPC Builder and NiosII. 

thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there are many books that can tell u how to make a project,just find them or get more information from www.altera.com. it's easy ,don't worry

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are many resources online at www.altera.com that you can use for building the SOPC system. I have not seen too many NIOS II examples to write to LCD screens though. If any of you know of such examples, please share.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I like that "it's easy ,don't worry". But in fact it is not so easy because It is not just a problem about how to configure SOPC Builder. You need to have SOPC Custom Components or IP-Cores to interface with the camera and lcd. It is the only way since you are using a Nios system, which has an Avalon Fabric to interconnect all cores.  

Well, the problem is that these components are not available in the SOPC library and you must design them. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your question is so broad that no one will be able to give you a detailed answer here. To get started you're just going to have to get your feet wet. 

1 - Visit http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio2.jsp and absorb as much information as you can. Specifically, there is a new Embedded design Handbook that contains a first time user's guide: http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/edh_ed_handbook.pdf 

2 - Fire up SOPC builder, create a very small system with a NIOS processor, some onchip memory (for code storage and execution, and a PIO port that you can use to drive an LED on the DE2 board. Instantiate this newly designed system in your top level. 

3 - Fire up the NIOS II IDE and create a software app for your new system that blinks your LED. 

If you get this far, you're doing great.
0 Kudos