I have been happily using Quartus Prime 21.1 Lite (Windows 10) with several Terasic boards (including DE0-Nano, Cyclone V GX Starter Kit, DE2-115) the last month or so with a new computer.
Yesterday, the computer did it's annoying "auto Microsoft update thing and reboot" - and today I have been unable to work with my boards anymore.
I tried reinstalling the drivers (DPInst.exe). I even rebooted into "allow unsigned drivers" and reinstalled them. However, nothing. I have no ability to see the boards. The Device Manager shows the Altera USB-Blaster when connected (driver date 8/16/2017, version 126.96.36.199). The does computer beeps when I insert and remove the boards.
I have tried several things:
- Uninstalling/installing the drivers, including a reboot with unsigned drivers allowed
- Different USB cables
- Different USB ports on the computer, with and without a hub
But none of this works - none of these things see the board:
- quartus_pgm --auto
- Quartus GUI using Quartus Programmer or Signal Tap UI
- The Terasic "Control Panel" for the board
- Running all the above as administrator instead of my regular user
My windows version is now 10.0.19044 Build 19044, HAL is 10.0.19041.1503. It runs with the hypervisor because I have WSL2 enabled.
BUT: Nothing has changed, just the computer decided to self-update and reboot overnight.
Since nobody responded, here's what I did which eventually did SOMETHING:
1. Unplug as many USB devices as possible
2. Stop as many programs as possible in the system tray and running
3. Kill the "jtagserver" a few times from Task Manager
4. Plug in and out the FPGA board (USB Blaster)
Eventually the jtagconfig was able to see the board again. I have no idea which of these things worked.