FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Question about PLL reconfig

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have been trying to reconfigure for couple of days now and i failed horribly. I am hoping you will shed some light to my doubts; 

I have been following documentation for trying to reconfigure my PLL; 

1. http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_altpll_reconfig.pdf 

2. http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyclone4-handbook.pdf 

3. http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an507.pdf ( I understand that this is a tutorial for cyclone III device, but i figured the procedure will be the same because this is the only procedure i found that shows how to configure the PLL. All the other documents just gives reference info but no instructions.) 

currently my PLL is configured as following; 

inclock - 50 MHz 

C0 - 7.5 MHz 

C1 - 0.004 MHz 

I created a ill reconfiguration module and connected the ports as shown in either of document 1(page 13 figure 9) and document 3(page 3 figure 2) 

The All the inputs for the reconfiguration module is coming from my NIOS processor(write_param, read_param etc etc..) 

Inclock for PLL reconfiguration module is 50 MHz 

and reset comes from a push button KEY[0] 

*********************************************************************************************** 

This is how the program flows 

*********************************************************************************************** 

When the program starts, i generate two clock cycles C0 and C1 operating at 7.5 MHz and 0.004 MHz respectively 

after about 10 sec, i want the clock frequency of C0 to change to 7.0 MHz and after another 10 second, i want my C1 clock frequency to change to 0.005 MHz. 

Following is a snippet from my NIOS II code; 

#include "includeme.h" # include "piodriver.h" int main() { printf("Hello from Nios II!\n"); // This is the first 10 sec delay usleep(10000000); // Set counter type to C0 output_data(COUNTER_TYPE_BASE, 0x4); // Set counter_param to bypass(4'b0100) output_data(COUNTER_PARAM_BASE, 0x4); // Set data_in to 1 output_data(DATA_IN_BASE, 0x1); // Assert high for 10usec output_low(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); usleep(100); output_high(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); usleep(100); output_low(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); // Assuming busy is high at this point for 100ms // Busy will be alot less then this, but i used 100 just to be sure usleep(100000); //output_high(RECONFIG_BASE); //usleep(10); //output_low(RECONFIG_BASE); // Set counter type to N output_data(COUNTER_TYPE_BASE, 0); // Set counter_param to bypass(4'b0100) output_data(COUNTER_PARAM_BASE, 4); // Set data_in to 1 output_data(DATA_IN_BASE, 50); // Assert high for 10usec output_low(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); usleep(100); output_high(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); usleep(100); output_low(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); usleep(100000); //output_high(RECONFIG_BASE); //usleep(10); //output_low(RECONFIG_BASE); output_high(RECONFIG_BASE); usleep(100); output_low(RECONFIG_BASE); // SET COUNTER_TYPE TO M output_data(COUNTER_TYPE_BASE, 1); // Set counter_param to bypass(4'b0100) output_data(COUNTER_PARAM_BASE, 4); // Set data_in to 1 output_data(DATA_IN_BASE, 7); // Assert high for 10usec output_high(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); usleep(100); output_low(WRITE_PARAM_BASE); usleep(100000); // Finally reconfigure the PLL output_low(RECONFIG_BASE); usleep(100); output_high(RECONFIG_BASE); printf("RECONFIG COMPLETE"); return 0; }  

After doing this, my PLL doesn't get reconfigured. And after studying all three documents, i think i need help to solve this problem. 

PLEASE any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Best Regards, 

Pratish Karmacharya
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone? Any help?