FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Question about the WM8731

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing a project on the DE2 development and education board of Altera which contains the WM8731. After reading its datasheet, I see that the WM8731 supports a 2-wire MPU serial interface that is very similar with the I2C protocol (that have a start condition, a acknowledge bit, a stop bit...). So, why does it not be called the I2C interface in the WM8731 datasheet? Is there any difference? While, the WM8962 indicate 2-wire I2C and 3- or 4-wire SPI serial control interface clearly. 

Now, I am very confuse. So I wish I will receive your answer as soon as possible. Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A lot of chips that support the I2C protocol never call it I2C to avoid paying a license to Philips/NXP. Some manufacturers call it TWI (two-wire interface) but it is in fact 100% compatible with I2C/SMBus.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok 

I will try to give you an advice
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

A lot of chips that support the I2C protocol never call it I2C to avoid paying a license to Philips/NXP. Some manufacturers call it TWI (two-wire interface) but it is in fact 100% compatible with I2C/SMBus. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, that is the right answer I expected. I used the I2C protocol to control the WM8731's interface and it worked properly. In fact, the WM8731 also has a base address as every Philips semiconductors that has I2C-bus but I think it was not be provided by Philips.
0 Kudos