FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

Questions about the kits.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi again, 

First of all I want to thank you for your help. 

I have changed my graduation project for this scenario : 

The project will conaints the following : 

a-main computer which has : 

1-Face recognition system with its own data base. 

2-IP cameras for monitoring. 

2-WiFi connected to the computer for sending the data to the Kit. 

b-portalbe device which is the fpga kit and it has the following: 

1-An embedded system or a simple OS for management (Designed by myself). 

2-WiFi connected to the board. 

3-Encryption alogirthm. 

4-Microphone connected to the board to perform command recognition. 

so my questions are: 

1-Does the Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit, Cyclone III Edition support the previous topics if it doesn't so which kit does? 

2-In which language can I program the Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit? 

3-Does it support matlab code? 

4-Should I connect or buy Cyclone III Starter board to program the Nios kit? 

5-Can I connect a WiFi or RF module to the kit? 

6-Can I receive a camera video image by the kit (meaning Can the kit handle the large video image? 

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1-Is Cyclone II 2C70 better than Cyclone III EP3C25? 

2-What is the meaning that Cyclone III EP3C25 includes Nios II processor? 

3-Does the Cyclone II 2C70 has it? 

4-Can I apply the design examples for the Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit, Cyclone III Edition on DE-70 kit? 

i'm asking this questions becuase i want to know if i can design a simple os or a simple software for de-70 board like the nios ii embedded evaluation kit, cyclone iii edition. 

The examples can be found here : 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=39&no=372
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both kits have composite inputs and should be able to perform the task you want. As to know which one is better, it's difficult to answer. The EP3C25 is a newer generation than the EP2C70, and is probably a bit faster, but has less logic elements, leaving less space for your application. On the other hand if you just plan to put a Nios in there, both will support it well. The Nios is just an IP that can be placed in the FPGA and both the Cyclone II and III are supported. 

You can't directly apply the design examples for the Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit, Cyclone III Edition on DE-70 kit, as the hardware is different. It will need some adaptation. If you want to design something close to one of the examples for the Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit, Cyclone III Edition, I'd suggest that you get that kit instead of the DE-70, you'll save yourself some time. 

For the software side, you can use C or C++, but not Matlab code (at least not directly). 

You don't need to buy a Cyclone III starter kit, the Nios kit includes everything you need to develop on it. 

I'm not aware of any RF add-ons for the FPGA kits, and for the Wifi connection, as suggested in another thread connecting a Wifi access point to the Ethernet port on the kit will probably be the best solution. 

I hope I answered most of your questions
0 Kudos