FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

RMS and POWER calculation with MAX10 with two 14bit parallel ADCs

Tahir
Beginner

Can I use MAX10 to capture two 14bit ADCs for voltage and current at 7MHz sampling rate to calculate RMS and Power from the voltage and current? Will it be enough to do the operations or do I need a better FPGA?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Tahir

You can pick up the 17 ADC channels for Max10 devices by referring to below document.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_adc.pdf

The maximum sampling rate is 1MHz as mentioned in the same document which also reflected in the ADC core IP in Intel Quartus Prime tools.

Thanks.

Eng Wei

0 Kudos
Tahir
Beginner

How can I receive  7MSPS the ADC is just 1MSPS?

It is not possible to use the ADC, it is very slow just 1MSPS.

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Tahir

This is the ADC maximum speed available for Max10 devices. If you need higher sampling rate, you might need an external ADC.

Thanks.

Eng Wei 

0 Kudos
Tahir
Beginner

I have two external 14bit ADCs which work at 4MSPS.

The question is that, is it possible to use external Adcs with MAX10 and do sampling at 7MSPS with MAX10 FPGA to calcute Power and RMS?

Has the MAX10 ability to capture 14bits ADCs sampling at 7MSPS and process it fast enough to do multiplication of 14bit numbers captured at 7MSPS?

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Tahir

You can check on the datasheet, as long as the I/O standard speed is able to support the ADC output data speed, it shall be fine.

Thanks.

Eng Wei

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Tahir

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that have been provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Eng Wei

0 Kudos