FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Received a new 10M08 Evaluation Kit from DigiKey. The instruction blurp with the board says to plug it into USB connector and the 5 red LEDs should flash. When I plug it in, the red LEDs come on and stay that way (no flashing). The green LED also comes on

KBerg10
Beginner

Have tried numerous USB ports on different computers and several wall wart USB with 0.5A to 2.5A ratings. No flashing of LEDs.

Have connected a USB Blaster JTAG and it Auto-Detects the 10M08SA device. Tried programming it with the LED_Flash.pof file from Dev Store. Get error, Error (209014): CONF_DONE pin failed to go high in device 1. Tried changing Device from ES (Engineering Sample), still no luck same CONF_DONE error.

Is there a known issue with power up on these kits?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1. One green LED turns on when we connect USB cable.
  2. If we dot have program on flash we can't see red user led's flashing.

To program .pof

1. Auto select and select the device 10M08DAF
  2. right click ->select change the file ->navigate to .pof file and select it.
  3. click on program.

if still facing problem try to load .sof file.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
KBerg10
Beginner

Received another new 10M08 Eval Kit (thinking first one was defective) and same results. No blinking at USB power plug in. Tried using sof file, no luck. Tried pof, no luck,

Changed Device from ES to without ES, recompiled, still no luck.

See attachment.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1. Auto detect select and select the device 10M08DAF
  2. right click ->select change the file ->navigate to .pof file and select it.
  3. click on program.

share image of auto-detect.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
KBerg10
Beginner

Anand,

See attached for results. When Auto Detect is used it list three choices (none of which are 10M08DAF).

The chip markings is 10M08SAE144C8G

From Auto Detect have tried both 10M08SA and 10M08SAES, neither works.

Have tried both pof and sof file.

Have compiled with both 10M08SAE144C8G and 10M08SAE144C8GES.

Tried all combinations of above options.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Okay, can i know which quartus version are you using?

I need to check the dev kit and come back.

0 Kudos
KBerg10
Beginner
0 Kudos
KBerg10
Beginner

Can you provide more information on what a small percentage is? What serial numbers?

0 Kudos
KBerg10
Beginner

This is what I have found out.

The LED_Flash project from the Intel Dev Store website and the pre-programmed from factory configuration are using a pin out that does not match the Eval board. Specifically, the CLK is not on the correct pin and therefore the LEDs never blink.

After changing the pinouts to match PCB Schematic, have been able to get it to work after much battling. After many many attempts to program it in various ways, it programmed once and LEDs toggled. Tried programming again and same failure. But it would Auto Detect, Erase, and Examine just fine. So I began touching around on the board and looking at signals an o'scope. Everything seemed OK. Finally noticed if I touched near the JTAG pins at the MAX10 things would sometimes work. After more testing found the only pin I needed to touch was the JTAG TCK at the device. If I touch the JTAG TCK at the J10 connector, it still failed.

See attached picture for the slightest of touch to the pin to make it work. Its NOT a solder pin issue, I can touch the via on the JTAG TCK just under the pin on the back side of PCB and it works also. So, just the smallest of capacitance, seems to clean up the TCK signal.

Have been able to successfully program both Eval boards repeatedly.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

thanks for update.

0 Kudos