FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5891 Discussions

Recently I purchased a dev board with a note that says: WARNING This product may contain a chemical known to the state of California to cause CANCER, or Birth Defect, or other Reproductive Harm.

MRahi
Beginner

Recently I purchased the Intel Stratix 10 GX FPGA Development Kit L-Tile Edition (Production Version) from Mouser Electronics. But I found inside the box a note that says:

WARNING

This product may contain a chemical known to the state of California to cause CANCER, or Birth Defect, or other Reproductive Harm.

I would like to know more about this warning, i.e. what risks are involved, how the risk will be raised, etc.

There is no information about this in the dev board data sheet.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi MRahi,

I believe this is to inform user that the product contains chemical known to the state of California. The risk will not occur in normal use. However, when the device is burned or is not being used as intended that would cause the chemical leakage, the risk will be raised.

Thank You.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
MRahi
Beginner

Thanks SooYL for your reply, but I'm not satisfied with it.

Can you please advise of the following so I can make an informed decision on whether I would keep the board or return it.

1) What hazardous substances are in the product?

2) Where is it in the product?

3) How one might be exposed to it? You said if the device is burned it causes the risk. Can you please explain a bit further of what chemical will be generated and in what form, etc.

4) Would the increased temperature on the operational board increase the hazard?

5) What is the risk level?

Cheers,

Mostafa

0 Kudos
MRahi
Beginner

Thanks Sstrell for your help.

I have found a few similar articles about this warning, but as it is suggested in the article, I need more information before making a decision.

Cheers,

Mostafa

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You're going to find this warning on pretty much any electronic product. I live in California and see it everywhere to comply with prop 65. What exactly is your concern? There's not much you can do about it.

0 Kudos
MRahi
Beginner

Reading several articles about it, I know this found everywhere in California. But we I have not seen it at all before in Australia.

I asked the Intel staff in the above post, what my questions are. It would be at least good to know what chemical it is, and know a bit more, so to reduce any possible risk.

I want to know if I should wash my hands each time after touching the board or not. Or should I have it in a well-ventilated chamber so it does not generate harmful chemical fumes, etc.

0 Kudos