FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Reg: Max5 CPLD eval/demo kit for 5M160ZE64A5

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have some questions regarding the Max5 CPLD 5M160 family and associated boards/kits. 

I have looked online and I dont see CPLD kits with the 5M160ZE64A5 part (I can see 5M570, 5M1270 or 5M2210 CPLDs) 

I wanted to know if - 

1) Are there any evaluation kits/boards available specifically with the 5M160ZE64A5N so that I can evaluate this particular part and verify my design? 

2) I understand Altera might not be making eval. boards for the 5M160 family. However can someone recommend any 3rd party board/kit which I can buy/use for evaluating the 5M160ZE64A5N part? 

3) Is there any (unpopulated) socket board or break out board, on which I can simply mount the 5M160ZE64A5 chip (without the need for soldering etc.) so that I can simply bring up the CPLD and evaluate the functionality? 

4) In order to load the CPLD, I understand I need the USB-blasterII kit (s/w and dongle). Can these be used in stand alone fashion? 

Do I need some other associated hardware/peripheral/software in order to flash the CPLD? 

Please let em know soon ... 

Thanks and regards, 

Z.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, about 1, 2, 3 I found this on Ebay some time ago, it sell bare PCB or assembled, I never bought I made the final board t otest all design than wiring. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321981230976?ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ebay.com%2fsch%2fi.html%3f_from%3dr40%26_sacat%3d0%26_nkw%3d321981230976%26_rdc%3d1 

4 Yes you need the byte blaster original or cheap fake found on ebay or other sites, I bought some of these and work fine like the original one just a bit slower. 

Software: you need download and install Quartus II from Altera site, free web edition is more than enough. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

i had already looked up this link. 

the issue is that these PCBs are for 5M160 with the 100 pinTQFP package. I am looking for a package with 64-pin EQFP to verify my pinout and design. 

this is the closest i too have seen to the 5M160 boards, but the package is different. thanks though :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This case making one pcb is not so expensive and you can mount your own board as was for mine requiring 144pin TQFP/ BGA 256, the only difference you can change pin on final board and test design, in my case pin where not enough. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the issue is the package i am going for - 5M160ZE64A5N - this is a 64 pin enhanced quad flat package with size 9mmX9mm and pin pitch = .4mm. 

so if i want to mount this chip on a bread board for a quick/dirty bring up, then i need a stand-alone socket to put the chip in, which i am not able to found because this is a non-standard package. 

the only option then remains is to make my own pcb and lay it out and fabricate it. however that would take about 2 weeks time to get it back from the fab. then debug needs to be done. and i needed the board for bring up in a week. hence was exploring some quicker options ... 

thanks, 

z.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Again, you can use the TQFP 100 develop all you need to do and when board is ready simply reassign pin to new package. The only constraint on both device are general pin like clock reset and OE specialized lanes. 

Every pin is working the same way so you can use whichever board you find then pass your design to final device. You can use also a larger device to develop and recompile on final version. 

Regards
0 Kudos