FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

S10-DX-Kit PCIe driver failure

Ankit_P_Intel
Employee

Hi All

I have s10 DX kit and I am attempting to validate PCIe.sof file which SW package comes with.

I loaded sof file in the kit and device is visible in 'lspci' command. (there was one device with id 17:00.0 - non -VGA altera device)

i went ahead and loaded all the SW package. in order to install driver i performed ./install command and it gave me error as seen in th screenshot. can you help me move past this error so i can try test application it came with.

thumbnail_instal_error.png

OS and kernel information for host is also visible in screenshot

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

Please try the command sudo ./install instead of ./install.

Also, what quartus version that you use? I acknowledge there are some issue in 19.4, thus please try with 19.3 or 20.1.

you can see the issue discussion here. they can use the design successfully if using 19.3.

0 Kudos
Ankit_P_Intel
Employee

I am using SOF file which came with SW package. I am running install command as root user.

the problem was that recent version of kernels uses different arguments for access_ok function.

- access_ok(type, addr, size)

+ access_ok(addr, size)

i made these changes in driver files supplied with the SW package, and i was able to compile the driver. However when running test application DMA tests (option 9) failed; and performing link test-100 rds/wrs (option 0 ) hung/crashed my system. can you help ?

thanks

er2.pnger1.png

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

I am not aware about any pre-compile sof that came with SW package. By right, you should generate the example design using quartus (as mentioned by the User Guide), then compile the design to generate the SOF.

To make the DMA run successfully, you should not use Quartus 19.4. Seem like the issue that you are facing is matching with this KDB.

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/ip/2020/why-does-the-data-transfer-test-is-hang-when-running-intel--fpga.html

Regards

Boon Chiek

0 Kudos
Ankit_P_Intel
Employee

webpage.pngi got the installer package from kit`s web page https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-s10-dx.html

"ES" in screenshot above is hyper link to a zip file.

once you extract the zip file this path has a sof file -stratix-10-dx-1sd280pt2f55-fpga-rev-a--v19.3b222-v1.0\stratix10DX_1sd280pt2f55_fpga_revA_v19.3b222_v1.0\examples\pcie_ed\pcie_ed.sof

i loaded this sof file, the same location also have a zip file with SW package; I am using same SW/driver which is supplied.

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel
0 Kudos
Ankit_P_Intel
Employee

i have another question

in attached screenshot-

i tried option 3 & 4 to interact with config space

> i attempted writing value 0xa00 at address 0x100; and as per screenshot it was successful.

> i attempted to read address 0x100h after above step; and it returned 0x14820001

> if write was successful why its reading wrong value back and not the value i had just written?

cap1.png

can you find me address range in this design where i can write and read same values back?

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

By right user should not change the value of these register.

I checked Table 109. PCIe Configuration Space Registers for x16/x8/x4 Controllers

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_ptile_pcie_avst.pdf#page=174

For address 0x100, it is Advanced Error Reporting (AER), and according to PCIe spec, these register is RO only (see screenshot as below).

So, write will not takes effect.

If you really want to write into these register, you may check PCIe spec which register attributes is RWs. Furthermore, if you simply change the register value might cause the system to crash.

Lastly, for new question, it is better if you can create a new thread. this is to ease conversation tracking and ease for other user to search related topic.

AER_forum.JPG

0 Kudos