FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

SOPC Building Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hy All , 

I am building a simple LED test pattern from "Board diagnostics" and selecting my own system (created my SOPC builder in Quartus II).  

After that I go to the "system library properties" and change the setting to "program never exits" and "small C library". 

when i build them , i got below error message. 

Description :  

In Fuction 'GetInputString' : board_diag.o 

in Function 'main' : board_diag.o 

undefined reference to 'getc' : board_diag.c 

undefined reference to 'sscanf' : board_diag.c 

undefined reference to 'sscanf' : board_diag.c 

Any reply will be appreciated. 

Thank you ,  

Yuyex.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

That's because you chose "small C library" in which scanf,getc..etc.dont work.If u deselect that "small C library",you will not get that error if you have enough program memory.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I know this error in Nios that's y i told u if u have enough programming memory then and then u will be able to run. 

Anyway,you can not run this code with on chip memory.And if u unchecked "small C library" then u will not be able to use those functions. 

In quartus ,u got that error only because u increase your on chip memory.Try to reduce it till it wont get an error. 

And yes,Think another way for nios II but that way wouldn't work.Hope you understood .
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you again Supal Shah:), 

"Anyway,you can not run this code with on chip memory.And if u unchecked 'small C library' then u will not be able to use those functions." 

From above statements, it means that i have to run the functions off-chip memory(which can be larger)? 

Btw , I want to ask another newbie question about UART.I added UART function to my system and i got "rxd_to_the_uart" and "txd_from_the_uart" pins. 

My question is it necessary for those pins to be assigned to any of my DE0 board? 

Thank you, 

Yuyex:o
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hy all ..  

I have checked the largest on-board mem for DE0 = 56 M9K = 56 x 2^13 

= 57,334 Byte. 

I made an 20480 Bytes on-board mem for my system. 

After I unchecked the "small C library", NIOS II needs me to add another 39912 Bytes (20,480+39,912=60,392Bytes which is larger then the limitation for my DE0 board on-board mem). 

Is there any suggestion for this prob? 

Any reply will be appreciated. 

Thank you,  

Yuyex:o
0 Kudos