FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

SOPC Building Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hy All , 

I am building a simple LED test pattern from "Board diagnostics" and selecting my own system (created my SOPC builder in Quartus II).  

After that I go to the "system library properties" and change the setting to "program never exits" and "small C library". 

when i build them , i got below error message. 

Description :  

In Fuction 'GetInputString' : board_diag.o 

in Function 'main' : board_diag.o 

undefined reference to 'getc' : board_diag.c 

undefined reference to 'sscanf' : board_diag.c 

undefined reference to 'sscanf' : board_diag.c 

Any reply will be appreciated. 

Thank you ,  

Yuyex.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

That's because you chose "small C library" in which scanf,getc..etc.dont work.If u deselect that "small C library",you will not get that error if you have enough program memory.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I know this error in Nios that's y i told u if u have enough programming memory then and then u will be able to run. 

Anyway,you can not run this code with on chip memory.And if u unchecked "small C library" then u will not be able to use those functions. 

In quartus ,u got that error only because u increase your on chip memory.Try to reduce it till it wont get an error. 

And yes,Think another way for nios II but that way wouldn't work.Hope you understood .
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you again Supal Shah:), 

"Anyway,you can not run this code with on chip memory.And if u unchecked 'small C library' then u will not be able to use those functions." 

From above statements, it means that i have to run the functions off-chip memory(which can be larger)? 

Btw , I want to ask another newbie question about UART.I added UART function to my system and i got "rxd_to_the_uart" and "txd_from_the_uart" pins. 

My question is it necessary for those pins to be assigned to any of my DE0 board? 

Thank you, 

Yuyex:o
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hy all ..  

I have checked the largest on-board mem for DE0 = 56 M9K = 56 x 2^13 

= 57,334 Byte. 

I made an 20480 Bytes on-board mem for my system. 

After I unchecked the "small C library", NIOS II needs me to add another 39912 Bytes (20,480+39,912=60,392Bytes which is larger then the limitation for my DE0 board on-board mem). 

Is there any suggestion for this prob? 

Any reply will be appreciated. 

Thank you,  

Yuyex:o