FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

SOPC System Generation Error!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I recently started working with the Altera NiosII Development kit based on Cyclon II FPGA. When I try to open the standard reference design provided using the SOPC builder and generate the reference design I recive the following error. 

isa_europa.pm: calc_max_control_reg_sz(): No register size available for register cpuid 

Will be glad if anyone can help me out to understand this error. I realise what the cpuid is for but dont understand how or where I can set the size of this cpuid and why I have this error when I am trying to generate a standard example design. 

Best Regards, 

Kumaran
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

same here when upgrading a stable design from 8.1 to 9.0sp2. 

ideas anyone? 

apus
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi!, 

Here is the reply I got from Altera. I could solve this issue following the steps listed down. 

For error message "isa_europa.pm: calc_max_control_reg_sz(): No register size available for register cpuid", it is a running environment issue. If you have multi-version installation of Quartus II, when using v9.0, please make sure the following environment variables are set as follows (for example):  

QUARTUS_ROOTDIR = C:\ALTERA\90\quartus 

SOPC_KIT_NIOS2 = C:\ALTERA\90\nios2eds 

Please also delete environment variable SOPC_BUILDER_PATH (but you need to save the values for restoring when using versions other than v9.0). 

When using Quartus II/IP/Nios II EDS before v9.0 (such as v8.1), please recover the environment variable SOPC_BUILDER_PATH and set the value of the environment variables as follows (for example):  

QUARTUS_ROOTDIR = C:\ALTERA\81\quartus 

SOPC_KIT_NIOS2 = C:\ALTERA\81\nios2eds 

Then remove the following folders and restart Quartus II to try it again. 

c:\documents and settings\<user name>\.altera.quartus 

c:\documents and settings\<user name>\ipToolbench  

c:\documents and settings\<user name>\.sopc_builder. 

Best Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look also at 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd03082007_165.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=version%20switch 

And see on that page the link Altera Tool Switch zipfile. 

(for some reasons the switch only didn't work for me. When i also deleted the three folders in c:\documents ad .... it worked for me on Quartus 9.1 

Rgds, 

Kimberley
0 Kudos