FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5288 Discussions

Same Nios Code But Slightly Different FPGA

JBURR15
Beginner

I am using a Terasic DE0 Nano with a EP4CE22F17C6 device. I use the GUI based tools for much of the work, but I am trying to transition to command line tools to automate the overall build process.

I have an FPGA design that has four slightly different variations. The Nios code sees the same hardware/software interface for them so the C code does not need to change. As of now, I am maintaining separate FPGA and C code bases for each of the FPGA variations so that the Eclipse tool does not pitch a fit about the wrong BSP being used for the software. Obviously, this is a bad solution and I would like to change it.

Here is my question - 

Assuming I ensure that the C code is compatible across all four FPGA variations, can I just pick the desired FPGA HEX file when I generate the JIC file for a given FPGA variation?

Are there any subtleties I need to be aware of here?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Eliath_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeffery!

First of all, thank you for reaching us.

Regarding your question, it is possible, you can take a look into the following links to see how to do it properly.

Regards,

-Eliath Guzman