FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Slow frame rate (DE1 + D5M)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I connected the d5m camera to the de1 board and loaded the DE1_D5M project. When I plug the vga connector I can see images, but with a very slow rate. If I increase it (sw0 + key1) the image quickly become black, but still with a low frame rate. 

In the hardware spec. it is said that the camera can take 150 frames per second at vga, while I'm seeing less than 10 fps. 

I thought that the reason could be some slowness in the vga part of the circuit, and to verify this I debugged (jtag in-system probe) the rCCD_FVAL line, which should be the "frame valid" signal coming from the camera. This line shows the same slow frame rate. 

Any hint? 

My actual need is to do image processing on a row-by-row basis, of frames coming at, say, 30..60 per second. 

Enrico
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am interfacing D5M camera with DE2 board. with the code provided with the camera, i cant see the video clearly. also i see the blinking screen with frame rate. changing frame rate changes the blinking rate on the monitor. can anybody suggest what may be the problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

> also i see the blinking screen with frame rate 

I don't understand this sentence. 

However, I was able to make the board & verilog code to do what I needed. I modified the circuit to work on a single line and to do processing on it. 

If I can be of any help, ask 

Enrico
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i did not make any change in the code given with the camera, but the camera is not capturing the right images or the code is not able to display the image correctly. i am not sure if the camera is damaged or what...  

the green LED's on the DE2 board blink with the rate the camera is capturing images, the output on the monitor is also blinking with the same pattern of random images. how can i chek the camera is working fine?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you read the user manual for the DE2? 

Mine is a DE1 and I have to press KEY3 to star free capturing, KEY0 for reset and KEY1 (combined with SW0) to increase/decrease sensitivity (and thus frame rate) 

The project DE2_CAMERA/DE2_D5M.qpf uses the same keys as the DE1. 

Are you using this project, or the DE2_70_CAMERA?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it seems there is some problem with the camera... can you see the video below... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6fpm1bibk
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

uncommon result... 

is the monitor working properly? Tried another one? 

What quartus project did you run, with or without NIOS? 

Perhaps you need to do some signal tap analisys
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

monitor is working perfect... i tried the same code on another monitor with same results... 

i am using quartusII 9.1 with NOIS 9.1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone solved this problem? 

I too have a slow frame rate with D5M and DE1 

--- Quote Start ---  

I connected the d5m camera to the de1 board and loaded the DE1_D5M project. When I plug the vga connector I can see images, but with a very slow rate. If I increase it (sw0 + key1) the image quickly become black, but still with a low frame rate. 

In the hardware spec. it is said that the camera can take 150 frames per second at vga, while I'm seeing less than 10 fps. 

I thought that the reason could be some slowness in the vga part of the circuit, and to verify this I debugged (jtag in-system probe) the rCCD_FVAL line, which should be the "frame valid" signal coming from the camera. This line shows the same slow frame rate. 

Any hint? 

My actual need is to do image processing on a row-by-row basis, of frames coming at, say, 30..60 per second. 

Enrico 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Has anyone solved this problem? 

I too have a slow frame rate with D5M and DE1 

--- Quote End ---  

You need just increase the PIXCLK by adjusting the d5m build-in PLL, or connect XCLKIN pin directly to your in-fpga PLL. 

In terasic examples XCLKIN is set to 12MHz thru d5m's PLL, but PIXCLK has the same frequency(because of wrong config(I2C_CCD_Config.v)) 

Example of PLL configuration is in THDB-D5M_Hardware specification.pdf (pages 30-32)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You need just increase the PIXCLK by adjusting the d5m build-in PLL, or connect XCLKIN pin directly to your in-fpga PLL. 

In terasic examples XCLKIN is set to 12MHz thru d5m's PLL, but PIXCLK has the same frequency(because of wrong config(I2C_CCD_Config.v)) 

Example of PLL configuration is in THDB-D5M_Hardware specification.pdf (pages 30-32) 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you, 

I modify these two lines in I2C_CCD_Config.v following your help and it works 

11 : LUT_DATA <= 24'h116004; // PLL_m_Factor<<8+PLL_n_Divider 

12 : LUT_DATA <= 24'h120004; // PLL_p1_Divider 

Pixel_clock = 60hex(96decimal) * XCLK(25MHz) / [M(4+1) *N (4+1) = 96MHz 

also change the XCLK to camera module to 25MHz. 

refer to camera hardware specification in PLL (page 34) for more information.
0 Kudos