FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5929 Discussions

SoCKit Development Kit tools?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I want to learn FPGA design and this kit seems a good start. It should give me stuff to do for several months . I'm concerned about the development tools though. From what I've read, I need the SoC EDS. There is a paid and free version. There is a table that shows what the difference between them is but I don't understand them. Sorry I can't paste the link. This silly forum editor is giving me a very hard time (can't paste and if I type too fast it skips letters ... argh!). 

I'm thinking I need a project to "play" with the kit so I'm thinking crypto currency mining. I' not planning to make a real product of it but it has enough complexity for an FPGA/HPS design. 

Will the free edition of the SoC EDS work for this project?  

Thanks 

BTW I'm familiar with Quartus web edition. I'm used it for a MAX3000A CPLD in the past.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all, 

I want to learn FPGA design and this kit seems a good start. It should give me stuff to do for several months . I'm concerned about the development tools though. From what I've read, I need the SoC EDS. There is a paid and free version. There is a table that shows what the difference between them is but I don't understand them. Sorry I can't paste the link. This silly forum editor is giving me a very hard time (can't paste and if I type too fast it skips letters ... argh!). 

I'm thinking I need a project to "play" with the kit so I'm thinking crypto currency mining. I' not planning to make a real product of it but it has enough complexity for an FPGA/HPS design. 

Will the free edition of the SoC EDS work for this project?  

Thanks 

BTW I'm familiar with Quartus web edition. I'm used it for a MAX3000A CPLD in the past. 

--- Quote End ---  

If you want to learn FPGA design you can use FPGAs without ARM cores. FPGAs with ARM cores (SoC) are more complicated. It is not for beginners. Of course, you can buy SoC dev. board and use only FPGA however many peripherals will be connected to the ARM part IO and you cannot use them from FPGA. Simply, If you need only FPGA buy FPGA dev. board, if you need SoC device, buy SoC dev. board. :) 

What I know, SoC EDS is free and you will be able to install them to the both Quartus versions (full/free). Only DS-5 studio you must pay separatly (there is a way you needn't use DS-5 studio). But be carefull, you must install DS-5 studio even if you will not use them (without DS-5 installed on PC you will not be able make a preloader,...). 

Milan
0 Kudos