FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Sof2Flash conversion for Ethernet downloading on Arria 10

RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi,

I encountered Sof2Flash conversion error as shown below.
Subsequently, I read that Arria 10 is not supported.
If so, how do I convert a SOF file to FLASH file for ethernet downloading on Arria 10 GX FPGA development kit?

====================
C:/intelFPGA_pro/20.1/nios2eds/bin/sof2flash.exe --input=input.sof --output=output.flash --offset=0x02D00000 --pfl --optionbit=0x00180000 --programmingmode=PS
null
Feb 21, 2022 12:12:48 PM com.altera.commandApplication.CmdApp severe
SEVERE: sof2flash: Error creating intermediate files, exiting
====================

RyanT_0-1645423571687.png

Best Regards
Ryan

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Kenny_Tan

Hi Ryan,

We will need some time to look into this issue, will get back to you as soon as we can.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Thanks, Kenny.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi RyanT,

You can refer to this KDB for the workaround:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000077309.html

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi RyanT,

I will close this thread if no further question.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi Aik Eu,

I found the "nios2-elf-objcopy.1" file in "C:\intelFPGA_pro\20.1\nios2eds\bin\gnu\share\man\man1" folder.

Can you guide me how to run the command?

RyanT_1-1647313025642.png

Best Regards

Ryan

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Also found the file in c/intelFPGA_pro/20.1/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-mingw32/bin folder but could not run the command.

Can you advise how to run it?

RyanT_1-1647316144013.png

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

I managed to run the command on Windows terminal and converted SOF file to FLASH file.

Will try to download the FLASH file via ethernet and see if the conversion is correct.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi RyanT,

Good to know that you are able to run the Sof2Flash conversion cmd.

Does the converted file working?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi Aik Eu,

Currently, I'm having problem to verify this because the FPGA is unable to enter ethernet download mode to display the IP address.

Previously, I've been running other tests such as POF/JIC downloading tests which erased the flash memory.

I tried to restore the factory image via BTS tool and the restoration is not successful. Attached BTS log shows error code 44.

The factory recovery process can erase the flash memory but encounter error when starting to program.

I see the same failure when trying to program POF.

Is there an alternative way to enter the ethernet download mode? Or other method to program the FLASH file to flash memory to run Arria 10?

Best Regards

Ryan

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi RyanT,

Sorry for late reply, may I know what is your connection setup on your board to perform ethernet download?

Are you using a Ethernet blaster for that?

Do you have other connection option like a USB blaster on your board?

Normally we program the board using USB blaster, the board may already have a built in USB blaster without required an external one and only required a mini USB cable connection. Quartus programmer will be used to perform the flash programming.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi RyanT,

Any follow up from the previous comment?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi Aik Eu,

I connect LAN cable to J9 ethernet port and follow the steps in the user guide.

RyanT_0-1649227868706.png

I'm not using ethernet blaster. The on board USB blaster is not working for some unknown reason, but I have an external USB blaster 2 cable to program SOF.

The purpose of bringing up ethernet flash download is to provide a means to store my FPGA binary data in NVM and allow booting up the RTL code directly.

Recently,  I managed to resolve JIC programming problem and can now store the my FPGA binary data in the serial flash.

Thus, ethernet flash download method is now a good-to-have option.

Best Regards

Ryan

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi RyanT,

I afraid the project files that you flash/overwrite the original content of the board does not have the feature to support ethernet download.

Try to perform a Factory Reset and check the condition of the ethernet download on default factory settings before any attempt to flash any new files:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683526/current/connecting-to-the-board-update-portal.html

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi RyanT,

I will close this thread as the original question to this thread has been answered. You can create a new thread for any further question.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi Aik Eu,

Ok, thanks.

Best Regards

Ryan

0 Kudos