FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

Specify clock frequency for CycloneII FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I want to specify a clock frequency for my counter(VHDL), to make it adds one every second.To simulate it I can simply generate a required waveform, but to configure it into FPGA I think I need a real clock. The default clock requency is 333.56MHz.How can I specify a low frequency for it? :confused: 

Anyone can help me out ot this? Thank you!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could use your 333.56Mhz as input to the FPGA.  

This could either be used as is if your FPGA is fast enough or via a PLL to reduce it to a more manageable frequency (Say ~10MHz) 

This clock could then be used to increment a counter. 

clock_gen: process(clock) begin ... if (clock'event and clock = '1') then if (count = finalCount) then count <= 0; clockEnable <= '1'; else count <= count + 1; clockEnable <= '0'; end if; end if; end process clock_gen; 

This counts to a max value and generates a single clock period strobe (a clock enable) every finalCount clocks (at 333MHz).  

The finalCount value could be chosen to give the frequency you require. 

Then use the clock enable within your addition process. 

other_stuff : process(clock) begin ... if (clock'event and clock = '1') then if (clockEnable = '1') then do stuff end if; end if; end process other_stuff; 

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, I still have some problem I cannot figure out.I saw in the compilation report that the actual frequency of clockwas around 330 mhz.But the point is I don't think I have introduced the 330mhz clock into my counter, otherwise it should work. :confused: 

Could you give some clue how to use a internal clock in my design?many thanks...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like you are looking at the output from the timing analyzer. 

This tells you the maximum clock frequency that your design will correctly operate under. 

You must have specified a clock in your top level component.  

Can you attach an image of where you have seen this clock mentioned and maybe a copy of your code for the top level? 

There is no such concept as an internally generated clock in an FPGA. There must be an external clock source
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thankyou~ 

I saw the max frequency value in the timing analyzer.And here is my code.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess, you don't have just a FPGA soldered on a prototype board? All Altera and third party Development Kits have clock oscillators, e.g. 50 MHz. The also have user manuals discussing the clocking schema.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So there is a clock defined and you should be able to see this assigned to a pin on your FPGA. 

You can input a lower clock frequency to this pin if you like. 

I noticed in your code the line 

wait until (CLOCK'event and CLOCK = '1');  

This is behavioral code for test benches and needs to be replaced for RTL design in the FPGA 

Something like 

if (CLOCK_50'event and CLOCK_50 = '1')then  

Would be better
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So there is a clock defined and you should be able to see this assigned to a pin on your FPGA. 

You can input a lower clock frequency to this pin if you like. 

--- Quote End ---  

No you can't. I remember, that changjianchun is actually using a Cyclone II Starter Board (he reported in a different thread before), and the said CLOCK_50 is wired to a 50 MHz clock oscillator. The 10 Mhz setting in timing analysis isn't according to the real hardware. 

The obviously required method is using a clock divider with a respective large ratio to get a visible count frequency.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, Well spotted, I didn't pick up on that. Totally agree with you post an that case :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you guys~I made a clock devider and now the counter works! 

Many thanks for your help
0 Kudos