FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Store data written from FPGA-to-HPS bridge

DChau5
Novice

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a way to get data from the mSGDMA IP Core in FPGA portion and do some calculation with that data in HPS. The problem is that I have never worked with FPGA-to-HPS ( F2H ) bridge and I do not have any clue how to store those data to read in HPS portion. I am not planning to use external SDRAM.

In my mind, first I will connect the mSGDMA write master to HPS via F2H as below

ocram.PNG

As I know, the F2H is connected to L3 Interconnect and from that it can reach to peripherals. And I see the L3 interconnect also connects to On-Chip RAM.

So, my questions are ( or you guys can give me some hints 😁 ) :

• Is it possible to use that On-Chip RAM? Or it is used for others purpose?
  • If yes, is it wise to use it? 😕
  • How can I read the data from F2H? Do I need to initialize L3 Interconnect to get the data?

My plan is pretty simple:

mSGDMA transfer data -> read those data -> do some calculation ( take 2 or more data and do adding, subtracting, ect. )

Any hint, comment or recommendation is appreciated . Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

There is an example design that demonstrate the data communication between FPGA and SDRAM controlled via the HPS:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/DatamoverCopy

• Is it possible to use that On-Chip RAM? Or it is used for others purpose?

>It is possible if your software code is smaller than the amount of memory available on the onchip RAM. It can increase access performance.

• If yes, is it wise to use it? 😕

> Well, you cannot utilize the entire on-chip RAM blocks just for storing program code, thus needing additional RAM blocks depending on the complexity and functionality.

• How can I read the data from F2H? Do I need to initialize L3 Interconnect to get the data?

>The example design of the Datamover will help you a lot.

Regards.

0 Kudos
DChau5
Novice

Thanks so much Mr. el.ign, I will check it out.

0 Kudos