FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5241 Discussions

Store data written from FPGA-to-HPS bridge

DChau5
Novice

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a way to get data from the mSGDMA IP Core in FPGA portion and do some calculation with that data in HPS. The problem is that I have never worked with FPGA-to-HPS ( F2H ) bridge and I do not have any clue how to store those data to read in HPS portion. I am not planning to use external SDRAM.

In my mind, first I will connect the mSGDMA write master to HPS via F2H as below

ocram.PNG

As I know, the F2H is connected to L3 Interconnect and from that it can reach to peripherals. And I see the L3 interconnect also connects to On-Chip RAM.

So, my questions are ( or you guys can give me some hints 😁 ) :

• Is it possible to use that On-Chip RAM? Or it is used for others purpose?
  • If yes, is it wise to use it? 😕
  • How can I read the data from F2H? Do I need to initialize L3 Interconnect to get the data?

My plan is pretty simple:

mSGDMA transfer data -> read those data -> do some calculation ( take 2 or more data and do adding, subtracting, ect. )

Any hint, comment or recommendation is appreciated . Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

There is an example design that demonstrate the data communication between FPGA and SDRAM controlled via the HPS:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/DatamoverCopy

• Is it possible to use that On-Chip RAM? Or it is used for others purpose?

>It is possible if your software code is smaller than the amount of memory available on the onchip RAM. It can increase access performance.

• If yes, is it wise to use it? 😕

> Well, you cannot utilize the entire on-chip RAM blocks just for storing program code, thus needing additional RAM blocks depending on the complexity and functionality.

• How can I read the data from F2H? Do I need to initialize L3 Interconnect to get the data?

>The example design of the Datamover will help you a lot.

Regards.

DChau5
Novice

Thanks so much Mr. el.ign, I will check it out.