FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Stratix 10 HPS - Added EMAC does not show up in Linux

DZuck1
Novice

Hi,

I am using a project based on the GHRD/GSRD for the Stratix 10. The reference design comes with 1 EMAC enabled in the HPS system and it is brought out to an external PHY.

I am trying to add 2 more EMACs (Stratix 10 HPS has 3 native EMACs) and route them to the Stratix 10 Native PHYs inside the FGPA logic. The ARM is running the Altera Angstrom Linux. When I run the "ifconfig" command in Linux the 2 new EMACs do not show up at all. I would expect that Linux would recognize the 2 new Ethernet interfaces. What do I need to do to make Linux recognize these interfaces? Is there something I need to do in the firmware or in Linux?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Based on my knowledge, when adding a new component affect the HPS (such as adding the extra EMACS), you will need to recompile everything, Platform Designer, Quartus etc.

Have you tried running the reference design for the first time to see if it is running successfully?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

My apology, by first time I mean without adding the extra EMACS, with everything default.

0 Kudos
DZuck1
Novice
Yes, the project works fine before I add the extra EMACs. Are there any changes to uboot/Linux that need to be made? Do the Device Tree Blobs (DTB) need to be modified?
0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Yes, since the changes are affecting the HPS, the preloader, uboot , dtb need to be recompile to take affect of the changes made.

May I know are the project files that you use already prebuild?

0 Kudos