FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Stratix 10 TX SI Development Kit: "PWR ERR" LED flashes intermittently and it is tricky to program it without errors in the transfer. Hardware problem?

TJoha6
Novice

We have the board at a university since about 7 months. The last week, it got tricky to program it (transfer the compiled .sof image from Quartus 19.2 to the board using USB) without errors in the transfer. And then we discovered that the PWR ERR led (red) flashes intermittently (several irregular times each second).

We checked the cables, the 240 W supply, the power (voltage) into board but it looks OK and the board behaves the same all the time. Also tested with another PC, Linux vs. Win, small program vs. large program, but it appears to be a hardware-related problems.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Welcome to INTEL forum. May we confirm is this the board that you use? ES or Production board?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kits-s10-tx-si.html

0 Kudos
TJoha6
Novice

Hi!

It is the DK-SI-1STX-E-A board, the label on the box says to. It looks like the board from the link, with two "MXP" on the upper right side, contrary to some documentation (the Quick Start Guide) which have three.

We got approval for donation in March 2019 (Donation Request Ticket [BR12170]), but it was not shipped until July 2019, probably to send us the Production Board and not ES.

I have also added a photo of the S/N and P/N of the board, on the backside of the PCB.

/Ted

IMG_3666.jpeg

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for your update. Could you try on this? Perform the BTS test with Quartus v. 18.1.2.277 as recommended and set all DIP switch back to factory default state and try to recover the board.

You can download Quartus at https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/18.1/?edition=pro&platform=windows

0 Kudos
TJoha6
Novice

Hi, no success. All switches checked (we have not changed them anyway).

Tested with Q18.1.2.277 and BTS with two Linux and one Win7 computer. The USB-II communication is erradic, BTS does not work at all, the programmer can talk and identify the device, but not fully transfer a .sof file (error/crash after different % of uploads, trying many times, each time somewhat different but never 100 % and green).

The D5 PWR ERR is still flashing fast intermittently. (When I tested with some of the switches related to supply settings, it went to bright amber light, and back to flashing again when I set the switch back to the factory setting.)

To me it seems like a hardware problem with an on-board supply.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Could you help provide the following for warranty checking?

Admin Name:

Email Address:

university Name:

Dev kit OPN :

Serial Number :

copy of invoice that shows time and date of purchase. And you can also reply/attach your file in private message.

0 Kudos
TJoha6
Novice

I replied in a private message, but not sure if the message got through (no confirmation). Pls tell me if you did not receive the reply.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We received your message. Thanks

0 Kudos