FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

Stratix V DSP Development Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everybody, 

I have bought a Stratix V DSP DEVELOPMENT KIT, it works great :) but like all beginner I have some problems. I`m sure that for you are very stupids. My problems are: 

Where can I find the pin assignment file? If I remember correctly is a .csv file 

The kit installation of this board does not work with quartus II 15.0. Is there some updated version of the kit installation? 

Thanks you very much in advance. 

Federico
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Federico, 

For the pin assignment, if I remember correctly you can look into the *.pin file. It should have all your pin assignment in your design. 

Not sure about what is your failure on QII15.0. Try explain abit more on the failure.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The kit stuff requires Quartus 12.0 (no SPs either! just straight 12.0). That being said, most of what comes with it is just test programs and not much more useful than that. You can use the board update portal (webpage) and USB-JTAG connection with any version of Quartus. Currently I am using 14.0 for my Stratix V designs (mostly because I haven't got the time to go upgrading to 15!). 

All of the pin assignments and I/O standards can be found here (I am not much of a fan of Golden Top files, best just add the pins you need when you need them!): 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/manual/rm_svgs_dsp_dev_board.pdf 

BEWARE though, I have found a couple of mistakes in that document (only in the pin assignments for the flash, can't remember which) - almost all the other features of the board I have used and found no issues with the pin numbers in that document for them. 

If however you do want the golden top, it can be found here (assuming you installed the kit, which doesn't require quartus to be installed) 

C:\altera\12.0\kits\stratixVGS_5sgsmd5kf40_dsp\examples\golden_top\5sgsmd5k2f40c2n 

Within that folder there is a .qar which you can extract using Quartus and inside will be the golden top stuff - the pins are in "s5_golden_top.qsf" which you can import into your project.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks to for your replies and your advice.  

I`m looking for a file to include where there are already write the pin assignment. I think I will try the golden top... to write manually a pin assignment could be a little long and dangerous (I`m scary to break the board with a wrong pin assignment). 

About the kit installation, when I launch the BoardTestSystem.exe it return "Quartus II active version is Pì Please set 12.0 to be the active Quartus version" but is not a big problem now because I saw that others example seem work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Correct, the board test system won't work without Quartus 12.0. The Golden Top qsf file contains all of the pin assignments for the board. You can import them into your project by going to "Assignments->Import Assignments..." in the Quartus software. Select the qsf in the import Wizard and it will pull them all in. There is a golden top Verilog file which will show you the names of all the pins being used (there may be a VHDL one too, but I didn't look for it).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

(p.s. "Golden Top" is a top-level design for an FPGA development kit, don't know if you have come across the term so thought I would clarify)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I saw. I can use this project to export the complete pin assignment

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You don't need to export anything. The sv_golden_top.qsf file *already* contains *all* of the pin assignments. Just import that .qsf file into your own project as I mentioned in my earlier post ("Assignments->Import Assignments..."). All of the pin assignments will be copied from that file into your projects .qsf file during the import.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok thanks you very much.  

I have used Assignments->Export Assignments to generate a .qsf. When I have used the DE2 development board, there was a .csv with the pin assignment, so I was looking for a .csv not a .qsf file... 

Thanks again
0 Kudos